OA-Publishing at Springer
What is Springer Compact?
The Springer Compact contract bundles access to subscribed journals with prepaid article processing charges for Open Access articles for the licensee. BOKU scientists can publish their articles Open Access in more than 2,200 Springer journals free of charge. Moreover, members of BOKU have online access to all Springer subscription journal content. Publishing articles in Open Access-only journals through Springer Open remains free of charge for the authors, the costs are covered by the library. What are the advantages for authors and participating institutions? (Period 2019-2021)
- High visibility for their work; upon their publication all articles are available for free for everyone
- Re-use of the articles in accordance with Creative Commons licences
- Automated deposit in PubMed Central (PMC)/ Europe PMC
- Open Access fees are covered by the library
Who can use the Open Choice offer?
Staff members of BOKU (active employment status at the date of submission).
- Who are corresponding author
- Whose article got accepted for an Open Choice journal
- Whose article belongs to one of the following type: Original Paper, Review Paper, Brief Communication or Continuing Education
- Whose article was not written as part of a funded project (fees for such articles should be covered by the project funding).
Once an article has been accepted by Springer, the corresponding author has to identify himself/herself as BOKU staff member and agree to the Open Access conditions. This includes mentioning BOKU in the acknowledgements of the article in its publication (Open access funding provided by University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna (BOKU). The affiliation of the corresponding author is verified by Springer and the BOKU library.
Please be aware that there are colour-in-print charges, which have to be paid for by the author.
For publications resulting from FWF projects you have to specify BOKU as affiliation and in the note the FWF Grant Number.
Springer's Open Access Agreements
After choosing Open Choice the copyright stays with the author. Almost 1,600 Open Choice journals publish under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license (CC BY 4.0).
Please direct questions to ub.support(at)boku.ac.at or to Mag. Dr. Martina Liska 01/47654-38070.
More Information for authors is available here:
Austrian Academic Library Consortium: https://www.konsortien.at/springercompact.asp (in German)