How is my Erasmus+ grant calculated and when will it be paid?

You are entitled to receive the Erasmus+ grant, if you complete at least 3 ECTS per month at the host university.  The grant is calculated on a daily basis based on your actual length of stay. The Erasmus+ grant is paid in two instalments: 80% of the grant at the beginning and the remaining 20% at the end.

Do I have to pay tuition fees during my Erasmus+ semester?

No, you are exempt from tuition fees during the exchange semester. There are no tuition fees to pay – neither at BOKU, nor at the host university. BUT: You still have to pay the ÖH fee at BOKU.

How should I choose the duration of my stay abroad?

Choose the period of time abroad rather generously, since a shortening does not require an extra application, but an extension does. The second instalment will be billed on a daily basis, depending on how long you actually stayed at the host university. The exact period of your stay will be confirmed at the end of your stay by means of a confirmation of stay, which must be signed by the host university.

What do I have to do if I stay shorter than originally planned?

Enter your actual dates of stay in Mobility Online and let your host university sign the confirmation of stay with the final dates. You will then receive a second instalment payment that is less than the initially calculated amount. (you'll get less for the days you have left earlier).

How can I extend my Erasmus+ stay?

To extend your Erasmus+ stay, you need to upload the fully signed application for the extension in Mobility Online at least four weeks before your originally planned end. Extensions must directly adjoin to the initial stay, last for a minimum of 15 days and not exceed the maximum possible Erasmus+ funding period of 12 months per level of study (Bachelor or Master). A new Learning Agreement must be issued and a minimum of 3 ECTS per month must still be completed. An extension is possible until the 30th of September of the following year at the latest.

Which documents do I need before departure?

You have to upload the Learning Agreement (prior to your stay abroad) and the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) (prior to your stay abroad) completed with all signatures in Mobility Online.

In order to create the Learning Agreement, you have to enter the courses you wish to attend at the host university in Mobility Online and generate your Learning Agreement via the database. You can change the courses again after entering them.

The Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) is also generated via Mobility Online after you have entered your courses.

Can I still change my Learning Agreement if it has already been signed and uploaded to MO?

Before departure you can change your courses at any time and create a new Learning Agreement in Mobility Online. You can also change the Learning Agreement until four weeks after your arrival at the host university. To do this, the changed Learning Agreement must be generated via Mobility Online. The new Learning Agreement has then to be signed again by all parties and uploaded in Mobility Online.

Which signatures do I need for the Learning Agreement and the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste)?

For your Learning Agreement you need the following signatures:

  • Your signature
  • The signature of your departmental coordinator at BOKU
  • The signature of your host university - one signature is sufficient here; this is usually that of your Erasmus+ Coordinator at the International Office of your host university

For the changed Learning Agreement, you only need your signature, the signature of the Erasmus+ Outgoing Coordinator at BOKU and the signature of your host university.

If you want to add new courses that you want to get credited as compulsory courses at BOKU, you have to clarify the recognition of the courses with the lecturer of the compulsory courses by email. Keep the email, so that you have a confirmation for the recognition of your courses (please also see "How does the recognition of my courses at BOKU work?").

For the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) (prior to your stay abroad) you need the following signatures:

  • Your signature
  • The signature of your departmental coordinator at BOKU
  • If necessary, the signatures of compulsory course lecturers (also required for courses out of the compulsory course pool/specialisation) at BOKU
  • The signature of the Dean of Studies at BOKU

Due to the current corona situation, all signatures - except that of the Dean of Studies - are accepted by mail and scan. For the original signature of the Dean of Studies, please send the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) already filled with all other signatures by email to the Study Services ( They will then have it signed by the Dean of Studies, Prof. Peyerl. When the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) has been signed and is ready to be picked up, you will be informed by the Study Services by email.

ATTENTION: It is your responsibility to obtain all signatures completely and on time! Otherwise it may have consequences for your Erasmus+ grant and the recognition of your subjects at BOKU. If the signature of the Dean of Studies is not obtained on the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) prior to your stay, it cannot be issued on the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) after your stay!

Who is my departmental coordinator?

Depending on the field of study, different departmental coordinators are responsible for evaluating the content of the courses at the host university and are available to answer academic questions. Your departmental coordinator automatically appears on your Learning Agreement. You will also find a list of all departmental coordinators here.

Who is my Departmental Coordinator and who is my Institutional Coordinator?

The Departmental Coordinator is your academic coordinator as explained above; the Institutional Coordinator is your administrative Erasmus+ Coordinator at the BOKU-IR office.

Which documents do I need to complete my Erasmus+ stay?
  • The Confirmation of Stay signed by your host university:
    For stays abroad up to 2020/21, the Confirmation of Stay  must be sent to erasmus-wien(at) (either a scan sent directly by your host university or the original document sent by you).
    For stays abroad from/incl. 2021/22 the Confirmation of Stay  has to be sent to erasmus(at)
    Furthermore, the Study Services need a copy/scan of the Confirmation of Stay to re-register you at BOKU.
  • The Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) (after the stay abroad) signed by your Departmental Coordinator and the Dean of Studies Prof. Peyerl
  • The original Transcript of Records from your host university (original printout or digital certificate with electronic signature)
  • The Experience Report of your stay abroad
How does the recognition of my courses at BOKU work?

The recognition of your courses at BOKU is done via the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) after the end of your stay abroad. You need the Paper for Recognition BEFORE and AFTER the mobility including all required signatures. ATTENTION: If you forget to get the signature of the Dean of Studies on the Paper for Recognition BEFORE the mobility, the courses cannot be credited via the Erasmus+ programme!

Register the courses that you have actually completed in Mobility Online and create and the Paper for Recognition AFTER the mobility within the online system.

You need again the signature of your Departmental Coordinator and the signature of the Dean of Studies. Your Departmental Coordinator needs the following documents: The original Transcript of Records from your host university, the Paper for Recognition (both parts: Paper for Recognition BEFORE the stay abroad and the final Paper for Recognition AFTER the stay abroad) and descriptions of the individual courses that you took (e.g. printout from the course catalogue of the host university including an explanation of the grading system, if it is not indicated on the transcript).

If you want to have a compulsory subject credited and it has not yet been confirmed on the Paper for Recognition prior to your stay abroad, you need the respective course to be confirmed by your BOKU compulsory course supervisor for crediting. Please send the Paper for Recognition after your stay abroad by mail to your BOKU compulsory course supervisor and have him/her sign it right next to the respective compulsory course in order to confirm this course. After that you can send the Paper for Recognition to your Departmental Coordinator who will then sign the complete list. If the compulsory subject was already approved in advance on the Paper for Recognition prior to your stay, you can obtain the signature of the Departmental Coordinator directly.

Once the Departmental Coordinator has signed the Paper for Recognition, you need to have it signed by the Dean of Studies, Prof. Peyerl, too. To do so, please send your Paper for Recognition BEFORE your stay abroad, your Paper for Recognition AFTER your stay abroad, and the original Transcript of Records from your host university to the Study Services (studienservices(at) If your Transcript of Records has no electronic signature, you have to show the original when you collect the signed Paper for Recognition. 

As soon as your Paper for Recognition is signed by the Dean of Studies, you will get informed by the Study Services. After arranging an appointment online (, you can collect your document in the Study Services. Only with the signature of the Dean of Studies it is a legally valid document!

After that, the registration of the courses in BOKUonline is done by the Study Services.

Please upload a scan of your Paper for Recognition after the stay abroad in Mobility Online. The original remains with you and should be kept in a safe place (you may need it again at a later point in time).

Where should the original Transcript of Records be sent to?

The original Transcript of Records should be sent by mail to your private address. If the host university only sends it directly to BOKU, please make sure that you have given the exact BOKU-IR address:

BOKU - University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna
BOKU-International Relations
Claudia Zefferer
Peter Jordan Straße 82a
1190 Vienna

If you receive a digital Transcript of Records with an electronic signature, please have it sent to you by email and in cc to erasmus(at)

What is the mandatory OLS (Online Linguistic Support) test?

The aim of the Online Linguistic Support (OLS) is to help students who are planning an Erasmus+ stay, to acquire and improve their foreign language skills. After the language test, students are given access to an online language course in the working language, and if chosen, also in the national language of the host country.

The OLS test before the stay is obligatory (exception: mother tongue) and refers to the working language during the stay abroad. You will receive an email with the link to the test. The online language course and a second assessment at the end of the stay are voluntary.

Detailed information about the Online Linguistic Support can be found here and on

What is the mandatory EU Online Survey at the end of the stay?

At the end of your stay you have to participate in an EU online survey. Participation is mandatory; if you don’t participate in the survey, you might have to repay your Erasmus+ grant. The link for the survey will be sent to you automatically by email from the OeAD shortly after the end of your stay. After receiving the email, you have 30 days to complete the survey. The EU Commission's survey serves to evaluate and improve the mobility programmes.

How does the current corona situation influence my Erasmus+ stay?

It is still possible to complete an Erasmus+ stay abroad. To be eligible for the Erasmus+ grant, you have to be physically in your host country; online mobilities from the home country cannot be funded!

Before you start your mobility, please inform yourself comprehensively about the current situation in your host country, the regulations at your host university, any entry and exit regulations (travel warnings, PCR tests, quarantine, ...) and your personal insurance cover (e.g. some travel insurances have exclusion clauses for a pandemic). Before your departure, you have to confirm in Mobility Online that you are going abroad at your own risk and that you have informed yourself about the guidelines of BOKU, your host university and public authorities. At the host university, there may be an increased offer of online courses.

For further information please see:

Current information for outgoings (COVID-19) on our website and current information of your host university as well as from the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs and des Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection.

FAQs from OeAD on Erasmus+ student mobility in the context of COVID-19
Further important information about your stay abroad and COVID-19

What do I have to do if I want to cancel my Erasmus+ stay?

If you cancel your Erasmus+ semester after submitting your application, a cancellation fee of € 50,- will be charged for the administrative effort. Exception: serious illness (with medical certificate), travel warning from the Ministry for European and International Affairs, COVID-19-related cancellation, serious illness or death of direct relatives.

Please write an e-mail to erasmus(at) that you would like to cancel your stay abroad and inform your partner university (in cc also to erasmus(at)