Visa and entry regulations for incoming staff:

  1. Upon request, BOKU signs „hosting agreements“ („Aufnahmevereinbarungen“) which are compulsory for the settlement permit as „researcher“, preferably for persons who have an employment contract with the University of Natural Resources and Life Scienecs, Vienna (and in exceptional cases also for Post-Docs without employment contract). If you need such a hosting agreement, please send the passport number and date of birth of the applicant together with the project title, purpose of the project and a copy of the BOKU employment contract to zib-head(at) In all other cases, we strongly suggest all incoming staff members to apply for a residence permit “special cases of gainful employment”. 
  2. Guide to Residence and Employment of Foreign Researchers in Austria (in English and in German)    

  3. Information flyer in English as well as application forms for residence permits (in German only)

  4. Overview on changes in legal regulations for Non-EU students and trainees (presentation of Mag. Forster, OeAD GmbH, at BOKU on 17.10.2018)

  5. Further information: see OeAD website

Registration in Vienna