How to look for Courses
This page is available under these URLs:
The education management system at BOKU is called BOKUonline and also includes our course database.
You will need it in order to:
- search for suitable courses
- register for courses
- register for exams
You will find the courses (LV) in our teaching information system BOKUonline. Each course has a corresponding number, which has to be included in the "Learning Agreement".
Please note that you can choose courses from various fields of study as long as you ensure that you fulfil the specific requirements for your programme of study. If necessary, changes can still be made to your Learning Agreement after arrival.
Unfortunately the courses for the upcoming semester will only be online shortly before the semester starts. Therefore we recommend that you look for courses that have been offered in the same semester a year before, when you make your learning agreement. (As a rule, only few courses change every year.)
Full degree students (students graduating at BOKU):
Please stick to the curriculum of your study programme.
Please note: You must register for each course in BOKUonline in order to take the corresponding exam. For online applications you will need a BOKUonline login which you can only get a few days after enrolling in person at the Study services. Note: You MUST enroll IN PERSON (certificates of authority will not be accepted)! Therefore plan to arrive BEFORE the beginning of the semester.
The easiest way to find your courses is the following:
- Go to BOKUonline
- Select the English version in the box at the top
- Go to „Search“ in the box at the top
- Scroll down to „Courses”
- Write a keyword next to “Search term” or type a course number
- Click on “English” (middle of the page/center)
- Make sure that the “Language of Instruction” is English
(Attention: courses are only offered in English, if the language of instruction – see course description – is clearly stated to be English)
- Make sure that you look for courses in the right academic year
- Make sure that you look for courses in the right semester: alle = all, Winter = winter semester (October – January), Sommer = summer semester (February – June)
- Click on “Search”
Please also check carefully that:
- the courses are offered in the right semester
- the courses are offered in the right language
- you have the required background knowledge (if applicable)
- you are familiar with the registration process
- you know when and where the first session will take place
- your courses do not overlap excessively (short overlaps between lectures = Vorlesungen, where attendance is not compulsory, it is normally not a problem)
Unfortunately the courses for the upcoming semester will only be online shortly before the semester starts. Therefore we recommend that you look for courses that have been offered in the same semester a year before when you make your learning agreement (as a rule, only few courses change every year.)
Attention: ECTS Credits are not the same as semester hours!
You will find the ECTS credits, when you click on the course description in BOKUonline.
If you would like an overview of which courses are offered, you can also see
- lists of courses from an institute or department
- lists of courses from a specific study programme
At the beginning of the semester the ZID (Information Technology Services) in cooperation with the ZIB (Center for International Relations) organise introductory events specifically for international students (both in German and in English) as part of the Welcome Days.