804402 Seminar synthetic biology
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Tan, Cherng-Wen Darren , Ehmoser, Eva-Kathrin
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2019
- Languages of instruction
In this module, we will simulate a scientific conference focused on the topic of Synthetic Biology. Students will have a taste of what it's like to participate in an actual conference (minus the fancy meals and celebrity scientists, unfortunately). Each student will have a chance to learn a topic, present it to the class and engage in a learned discussion. We will simulate panel presentations and evaluations. Guidance will be provided during the introductory session on how to prepare for each presentation. The panels will focus on the following topics:
1. The development of novel biological function in existing systems;
2. The development of novel systems with existing biological functions;
3. Three strategies employed in Synthetic Biology - Modularisation and Standardisation, the Top-down Approach and the Bottom-Up Approach;
4. The development of novel biological systems with novel biological functions;
- Previous knowledge expected
Basic knowledge in at least one of the following topics:
- Biopysics ;
- Molecular biology;
- Cell biology.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
1. To gain familiarity with selected topics in Synthetic Biology.
2. To be able to identify the aim of a reported work.
3. To be able to identify the motivation and impact behind this aim.
4. To be able to show how this work is different from conventional bioengineering.
5. To be able to make a simple risk assessment of the work.
6. To be able to identify how these risks are managed.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.