932308 Animal production systems
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Zollitsch, Werner , Winckler, Christoph , Hintze, Sara , Knaus, Wilhelm Friedrich , Leeb, Christine , Kirchgatterer, Georg , Hörtenhuber, Stefan , Maulbetsch, Freija
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2018/19
- Languages of instruction
General information: The umbrella topic changes annually; current topics of relevance to livestock production will be addressed in the seminar. The students will formulate their individual topics and the underlying research question on their own, but will be assisted by the lecturers on demand.
The topic and the research question must address the animal production system from an overall perspective and must not be narrowed down towards a segmented approach! Topics such as "The cattle breeding programme xy", "Use of feedstuff ABC in growing-fattening pigs", "Animal friendly husbandry systems for ......" etc. will not be accepted!
Within the chosen topic, a research question is to be formulated and answered, based on the information collected.
Content for the upcoming winter semester (2018/19):
The umbrella topic will be "(How) Are animal production systems addressing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?".
Within this topic, the following aspects will have to be covered by students
* Choose an animal production system you want to cover.
* Provide thorough description of the animal production system and its functionalities.
* Relate the animal production system to the SDG(s) that may be relevant for your system. The broad concept of SDGs and/or the numerous implications of livestock production may create the need to narrow the approach in order to achieve an appropriate focus.
- Previous knowledge expected
Sound knowledge of the basics of animal breeding, husbandry and nutrition which are at least equivalent to the respective Bachelor-courses is an indispensable precondition. IMPORTANT: incoming students (mobility programmes) are warmly welcome, but are strongly advised to critically reflect their respective knowledge BEFORE they register for this course! The ability to integrate different disciplinary perspectives at the level of production systems is absolutely necessary for describing and analysing complex problems in animal production systems. Having achieved a first insight into the characteristics of Animal Production System is expected, as well as into approaches which are suitable for addressing the production system in its entirety.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Achieving the ability to work independently around the chosen research question and to present the relevant results of this work.
Ability to integrate disciplinary perspectives and solutions into an approach that is adequately addressing the most important elements of animal production systems, including their interactions.
Ability to understand an analyse the implications of the conceptual setup of animal production systems in reflection of the umbrella topic.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.