933320 The global organic control and certification system
- Lecture and seminar
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Vogl, Christian R. , Leitner, Carolin
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2019
- Languages of instruction
This course features selected topics of the global organic control and certification system.
The actors, institutions and policies in the regulatory framework of organic farming do have a strong impact on the development of organic farming. They might hamper or facilitate the transition process towards organic farming.
• Introduction to key concepts and basic principles of the organic control & certification system;
• A very practical look at how inspections of organic farms are done in Latin America, Africa and Asia;
• Internal Control Systems;
• Participatory Guarantee Systems;
• The Import Regime for Organic Products to be imported into the EC;
• Additional topics: To be selected and presented by students based on their interests.
- Previous knowledge expected
This is a class for advanced students! Expected are:
• Fluent English (Reading, Speaking, Writing);
• Knowledge on organic farming principles and practices;
• Knowledge on EEC Reg. 834/2007 and EEC Reg 889/2008 (At least one course taken on that topic, e.g. watch courses of Paul Axmann!)
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
• Being able to explain the structure, actors and key principles of the global control and certification system for OF.
• Being able explaining strength and weaknesses of ICS and PGS.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.