857325 Advanced level remote sensing and GIS
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2019/20
- Languages of instruction
- Remotely sensed data and free available geodata
- Coordinate systems, reference measurements with global navigation satellite systems (GNSS)
- Digital image processing (image classification, accuracy assessment)
- GIS analysis (combination of raster and vector data)
- Visualisation of geodata
Theoretical units are combined with practical units.
A focus is laid on the semi-automatic classification of satellite imagery for land cover/land use mapping. This serves as an input for further analysis with free available GIS data.
Students will work with QGIS. Knowledge about the software is not necessary. An introduction will be given.
- Previous knowledge expected
Basic knowledge in Remote Sensing and GIS. These basics are conveyed in the following courses: "Geoinformationssysteme (VO, UE)" and "Einführung in die Fernerkundung (VU)". If necessary, the teaching material of these basic courses (BOKU-learn-platform) has to be studied or recapitulated in preparation for this advanced course.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Consolidation and deepening of knowledge in the field of remote sensing and GIS in a small project. Student should be able to evaluate the application of remotely sensed imagery and free available geodata.
Students will have the competence to work with QGIS and the "Semi automatic classification plugin" for land cover/land use mapping and GIS analysis.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.