736302 Patent law and strategic patent management (in Eng.)
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Kögl, Christian
- Angeboten im Semester
- Sommersemester 2020
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
Key words: Austrian Patent Law (PatG, patent); Austrian Utility Model Law (GMG, utility model = Gebrauchsmuster); European Patent Convention (EPC, EP-patent); in future maybe the Unitary Patent? (Einheitspatent = Patent mit einheitlicher Wirkung); Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT, international patent application); Patents in biotechnology; Computer-implemented Invention (Softwarepatent); Industrial Property Rights (IPR's = gewerblicher Rechtsschutz) and Intellectual Property (IP = geistiges Eigentum).
Inventions, logos or fancy names and designs can be protected in Austria by Industrial Property Rights (IPR’s) like patents or utility models for technical Invention, registered-trademarks for logos or phantasy names and registered-designs at the Austrian Patent Office for safeguarding the interests of industry, universities, scientists, designers and inventors. In this lecture, students get an overview of the relevant regulations and procedures of the Austrian Patent Act (PatG, patent) & the Austrian Utility Model Act (GMG, utility model = Gebrauchsmuster), the European Patent Convention (EPC, EP-patent), in future possibly the Unitary Patent in 26 EU-states (Community patent = "Patent mit einheitlicher Wirkung", which is still in the process of ratification, Status: 20/03/2020 - the German Federal Constitutional Court has sustained the constitutional complaint to the Unified Patent Court [details under https://www.bundesverfassungsgericht.de/SharedDocs/Pressemitteilungen/EN/2020/bvg20-020.html] & United Kingdom announced a withdrawal from the Unintary patent system [01/2020]) and the international Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT - one international patent application under the PCT-system in up to 153 countries, status: Q2/2020) system. The course offers an insight into employee’s invention at universities in Austria, especially service inventions at BOKU, patent Information (patent search, translations, patent classification systems), inventions in the areas of biotechnology and the national Supplemental Protection Certificates (SPC = Schutzzertifikat) in the fields of pharmaceuticals & pesticides. It also refers to the legal aspects of the registered-trademarks & -designs, the copyright and related rights, of IP-agreements, soft-Intellectual Properties (soft-IP’s) like know-how protection, secrecy as a holistic approach and defensive publications. In addition, knowledge in the areas of strategic IP-management, especially patent management, will be imparted.
- Inhaltliche Voraussetzungen (erwartete Kenntnisse)
No prior knowledge required.
Objective expected results of study and acquired competences after completing the lecture, students are able to:
- identify, describe the main areas and the procedures of all Industrial Property Rights (like patents, utility models, trademarks and designs) in Austria, especially for technical inventions the Austrian Patent Act, the Austrian Utility Model Act, the European Patent Convention, in future maybe the Unitary Patent and the international Patent Cooperation Treaty system;
- recognise and evaluate legal issues of employee’s inventions (service inventions) at BOKU, biotechnological inventions and Supplemental Protection Certificates for pharmaceuticals & pesticides;
- make decisions taking into account the requirements for a holistic IP-strategy and be able to implement this IP-knowledge in regard of any given business case.
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.