In this seminar you will learn how to prepare a scientific paper – step by step from data selection to submission
Content Seminar Days 1+2:
Using a very practical approach, the most important aspects of writing a ‘paper’ will be discussed and many questions related to writing will be answered:
- How do I plan the project ‘paper writing’ so that I am most efficient?
- Do I already have enough results for a publication?
- How do I structure my paper so that it becomes cogent and interesting?
- What sections is a paper composed of?
- What information should each section contain, i.e. how do I write a catchy abstract, an interesting introduction, a clear method and a convincing results section and how do I discuss my data in the discussion?
- What’s the perfect journal for my paper?
- What structural and stylistic means can I use so that my readers can easily follow the development of ideas in my manuscript?
Optional (when there is still some time left on Day 2)
- What should I pay attention to when submitting my manuscript to a journal?
- How do I react to comments from the journal or if my manuscript is rejected?
- How do I prevent or solve writer’s block?
- And a lot more…
Content Seminar Days 3+4:
The participants had one month to prepare their own short texts using the techniques they had learned. These first efforts will be discussed in detail in the group.
In addition to a lot of practical tips, each participant will receive a detailed handbook which describes again step by step how to prepare a publication. Numerous examples and plenty of time for discussion and questions contribute to a better understanding of the seminar topics.
Online Lecture / Presentation
Analysis and discussion of example texts
Analysis and discussion of participant's texts
Open discussion of participant's experiences and problems
Group size: max. 12 participants
The workshop will take place online via ZOOM.
Dr.in Eva Müller
is a Ph.D. Biologist with many years practical experience in scientific research and scientific writing. As a scientist she wrote many papers of her own and later, as a scientific author, numerous publications for biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies as well as for research institutes.
She teaches scientific writing at national and international universities and research centers. In addition, she provides scientists writing scientific publications with individual coaching.