812380 Multi-scale modelling and system dynamics in aquatic ecosystems
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Sendzimir, Jan , Zitek, Andreas , Melcher, Andreas , Schmutz, Stefan
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2019
- Languages of instruction
this lecture is structured into 6 main topics and given by 4 lecturers from different insights:
(01) Introduction to multi-scale modelling and system analyses (Schmutz and Melcher; 1 unit)
(02) Large scale quantitative models EFI, SBM (Schmutz and Melcher; 3 units + 2 excercises)
(03) Cause effect models, DIPSIR, Dynalearn (Zitek; 3 units + 2 excercises)
(04) Typology and timeseries (Melcher; 3 units + 2 excercises)
(05) Semi-quantitative models, VENDSIM (Senzimir; 3 units + 2 excercises)
(06) Final discussion and written exam (Melcher, 1 unit)
- Previous knowledge expected
basics in applied limnology, statistics and data management.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After successful completion of this lecture, participants are able to:
•Understand fundamentals of applied ecosystem statistics and modeling at different spatial and time scales;
•Incorporate information of different kinds (quantitative and qualitative) and from different perspectives (natural and social science) in research and decision-making related to managing aquatic ecosystems;
•To understand and to identify the main elements and processes features of applied aquatic ecosystems modeling and to structure and relate them in a hierarchical manner. The conceptual causal modelling unit follows hereby the concepts of hierarchy theory supported by qualitative reasoning as means for qualitative causal simulations.
•Sharpen their statistical intuition and abstract reasoning as well as their reasoning from numerical data through ecology-based and other research (sociology, adaptive management).
•Demonstrate critical thinking in interpreting and deriving conclusions from environmental and ecological data-sets.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.