933335 Applied science studies
- Lecture and seminar
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Freyer, Bernhard , Groot Nibbelink, Linda , Egger, Moritz
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2019
- Languages of instruction
This course introduces the most important basics of scientific research and refers to agriculture in general and organic farming in particular.
As far as students from other disciplines are involved, the thematic focus and interpretation will be extended to an interdisciplinary perspective.
The following questions are leading:
(1) Do the ontological foundations and epistemological foundations differ between the agricultural directions?
(2) What are the (normative) requirements for research on organic farming and what is meant by them?
(3) Does the practice of research in organic farming differ from that of conventional farming?
For this purpose, the following background knowledge will be introduced:
1) Introduction to central concepts of philosophy and epistemology (ontology, epistemology and methodology)
2) Introduction to science studies (especially theory of science, sociology of science and history of science) and differences in the context of natural sciences, humanities and social sciences.
3) Introduction to scientific knowledge programmes
4) Classification of organic farming versus conventional farming in a scientific theoretical context
- Previous knowledge expected
No specific prior knowledge required
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
(1) Being able to reflect the epistemological foundations of science;
(2) Being able to explain scientific research with its sub-areas;
(3) Being able to identify and interpret the differences between organic farming research and conventional agricultural research, if available;
(4) Gain an understanding of the relationship between science research and science practice;
(5) Being able to reflect on the practical consequences for one's own scientific debate;
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.