957327 Restistance breeding of crop plants
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Omidvar, Reza , Steiner, Barbara , Michel, Sebastian , Bürstmayr, Hermann , Lemmens, Marc
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2019/20
- Languages of instruction
In five topics essential aspects of resistance breeding will be discussed.
1) Concepts, terms and definitions in relation to resistance breeding
2) Examples for resistance to facultative pathogens
3) Examples for resistance to obligate pathogens
4) Methods and approaches for the identification of resistance genes
5) Strategies and options for resistance breeding
- Previous knowledge expected
This is an advanced course intended for master students with already solid knowledge and skills in Genetics, Phytopathology, Statistics and Plant Breeding.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
The students should be able to:
* explain terms and concepts of resistance breeding and plant-pathogen interaction
* critically discuss resistance breeding concepts
* critically evaluate advantages/disadvantages of resistance breeding strategies
* obtain knowledge about resistance of selected crop plants against selected pathogens
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.