833313 Scientific writing
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Suarez-Rubio, Marcela
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2019/20
- Languages of instruction
The course will use a combination of short lectures, examples, and exercises to understand and apply the principles of scientific writing. Specific topics included are:
• Fundamentals of effective scientific writing
• Structure of scientific papers
• Writing a scientific paper
• Writing an abstract
• The review process
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
This course aims to develop student’s awareness of the underlying structure and patterns of scientific research articles and to improve proficiency in writing up scientific research in English. Instruction will focus primarily on the process of writing and publishing scientific manuscripts, but effective oral communication will also be addressed. The course will be presented in two sections: part (1) explains the structure of a scientific paper and presents common elements that underlie each section of a scientific paper and part (2) teaches how to write effectively, concisely, and clearly.
1. Identify what constitutes good scientific writing.
2. Recognize the elements that constitute the sections in a scientific article.
3. Use effectively the work of others in writing, including use of sources and citation methods.
4. Develop revising and editing skills so as to be able to polish and refine your own written work.
5. Gain confidence in expressing yourself in both spoken and written English.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.