814042 Glacier mass-balance measurements - seminar
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and seminar
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2019/20
- Languages of instruction
The aim of the course series 'Glacier mass-balance measurements' is to conduct mass-balance measurements on two glaciers in the region of Hoher Sonnblick (3106 m). During the seminar the theoretical basis will be established. In the first part there is a lecture about the methods on glacier mass-balance measurements and snow physicis. In the second part students will prepare a ca. 20 min presentation in a group of ca. 4 students. The presentations will cover topics like glacier dynamics, avalanches, the state of alpine and polar glaciers.
The successful completion of this course is a prerequisite for the admission to the field trips (winter mass-balance and summer mass-balance).
- Previous knowledge expected
None for the seminar.
For the field trips profound experience in high alpine terrain (on touring ski and on bare ice), surefootedness, and high level of fitness are required.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
* Basic knowledge on glacial processes.
* Basic knowledge on processes related to snow (formation, evolution of the snow-pack, melt).
* theoretical background on methods th measure the mass-balance of an glacier.
* self-reliant literature research and presentation of the results in front of an collegiate audiance
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.