120998 Security training for studying and field research abroad - raising awareness for critical and emergency situations
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Melcher, Andreas , Vogl, Christian R.
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2021
- Languages of instruction
In summer term 2021,
1. this course will be done online only (no presence at BOKU / in Vienna necessary);
2. for this course, the schedule will be modified. To allow high flexibility for the students and for avoiding “ZOOM-fatigue”, only a few meetings(very likely at the beginning the first and the second meeting, and one meeting at the end of the semester) will be done through ZOOM. So please note down the first and the second meeting as ZOOM meeting. The access code will be sent through BOKUonline by Mail three days before the course. In the first meeting you will get additional updated details on the schedule.
3. for this course, all activities proposed and work load expected during the summer term can be done at your own pace. Nevertheless, the final deadline for having completed all activities end of the semester.
4. this course will be supported by BOKUlearn. You will get access to updated information on the procedure, latest three days before the first meeting.
This course shall help you preparing your field research, field trip or any other stay in a foreign country. We will give an introduction to hazards, safety, security and health issues that might affect the successful progress of our project while travelling, doing research or studying abroad. We will support you in answering these questions:
How do I prepare my trip for avoiding health and safety issues in the country of destination?
- What do I have to take into account during a trip for avoiding health and safety issues?
- What are the needed steps and behaviour during critical incidents?
- How should I react after such an incident?
We will define key word such as e.g. hazard, risk, safety, security.
A strong focus will be given on travel preparation s (gathering information, insurance, registration at BMEiA, detailed planning of transport and accommodation, handling money & documents, your emergency envelope, the BOKU emergency plan, your grab bag, etc.).
We will also discuss with you your “local safety & security plan” and the need for establishing your local safety network, doing a local risk analysis, preparing local protection strategies, organizing local reciprocal help just in case, preparing measures and materials for protection.
Watch that this course shall raise awareness and serve as introduction. You will learn where and how you might gain additional and in depth knowledge and training on all issues covered, if needed for your trip.
A well prepared trip that takes into account several precautionary practices is always fun! So let us help you making your trip fun and not a nightmare!
- Previous knowledge expected
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After this course the students will:
- Being able to explain all needed steps for preparing a trip abroad as requested by BOKU and needed for the country of destination.
- Being prepared to acquire additional specialist knowledge from additional sources on safety and health issues needed for the country of destination.
- Having improved skills for reducing risks during stay abroad.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.