120101 Introduction to academic agricultural English
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Winckler, Christoph , Leeb, Christine , Hage-Ahmed, Karin , Motsch, Viktoria , Kaul, Hans-Peter , Zollitsch, Werner , Weber, Elisabeth , Knaus, Wilhelm Friedrich , Kniepert, Martin
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2020/21
- Languages of instruction
Monday 12. 10. 14:00 - 15:30
Monday 19. 10. 14:00 - 15:30
Tuesday 27. 10. 14:00 - 15:30
Tuesday 3. 11. 14:00 - 15:30
Monday: 9. 11. 14:00 - 15:30
Monday 16. 11. 14:00 - 15:30
Monday 23. 11. 14:00 - 15:30
Monday 30. 11. 14:00 - 15:30
PLEASE WATCH THIS INFORMATION VIDEO:
(can also be found as "120010 Introduction to Academic Agricultural English Information Video" on YouTube). In case of course-related questions, please contact the mastermind of this course, Dr. Elisabeth Weber at email@example.com
There are four modules, specializing on
- Technology & Environment,
- Plant Sciences,
- Livestock Sciences and
Each module takes up two weeks and includes two module lectures, one English Coaching input video and two weeks of online sessions.
- Previous knowledge expected
none, ideally: English language skills at Matura level (= B2) or better.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Students develop their competences to understand and communicate agricultural contents in an international context using English as a means of international communication.
In order to reach this goal students learn to
- Read and understand the quintessence of specialized texts from relevant fields of agricultural sciences with the help of dictionaries and other sources,
- Understand and produce appropriate general comments on specialized texts produced in English,
- Present professional opinions related to a specialized text in an academic context and respond adequately to opinions expressed by others,
- Develop strategies to register, manage and extend specialized vocabulary,
- Develop strategies to practice and apply specialized vocabulary,
- Transform specialized knowledge from the first language into English in a comprehensible way and vice versa,
- Apply specialized language in their professional and academic field(s) in an efficient and flexible manner,
- Develop a healthy and supportive level of self-esteem when using specialized language in English,
- Understand the importance of and actively promote lifelong learning.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.