833017 Citizen Science Seminar
This page is available under these URLs:
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Heigl, Florian , Dörler, Daniel
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2022
- Languages of instruction
Citizen science is being used more and more in a wide range of disciplines. Many ecological projects in which citizen scientists collect data on the occurrence or distribution of organisms are well known, but also in the humanities and social sciences, researchers are increasingly using citizen science. In this seminar we would like to give guest speakers the opportunity to present current projects and to discuss the projects with students and other interested persons. These lectures will take place four times a semester and will primarily cover projects from German-speaking countries.
Students will get an insight into current research and projects in the field of citizen science and learn not only how a project can work, but also which pitfalls exist. At the end of the semester, students will hand in a seminar paper on one of the projects presented, which will deal with the presented project in more detail.
- Previous knowledge expected
basics of scientific writing
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
1. getting to know the citizen science method and various citizen-science-projects
2. improved understanding of specifics of working with citizens
3. criticizing scientific methods or results
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.