790102 General microbiology
This page is available under these URLs:
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2022
- Languages of instruction
This lecture gives an overview on the basic knowledge of microbiology with a special focus on the fields taught within the frame of this study at BOKU. It provides the theoretical basis for working in a microbiology laboratory.
- Microbial evolution and brief systematics
- Cell biology of prokaryotes
- Basics of light microscopy and electron microscopy
- Microbial growth and cultivation
- Inhibition of microbial growth - sterile techniques
- Detailed description of selected organisms that are of relevance for biotechnology
All topics will be accompanied by an explanation of relevant methods.
- Previous knowledge expected
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After successful completion of this lecture, students understand the basic principles of microbiology
Students are able
… to characterize the principal cellular infrastructure of prokaryotes and eukaryotes
… to design schemes for the identification and classification of microorganisms
… to plan the set-up for the cultivation of microorganisms and viruses
… to assess the beneficial and detrimental properties of microorganisms
… to apply their knowledge in the way of looking at scientific challenges in microbiology
Students have acquired theoretical competence in microbial laboratory techniques.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.