771317 Separation science and mass spectrometry
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Steininger-Mairinger, Teresa , Cocovi Solberg, David , Tchaikovsky, Anastassiya , Causon, Tim , Troyer, Christina , Hann, Stephan , Fischer, Elisabeth , Kochmann, Sven , Boulyga, Sergej
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2022
- Languages of instruction
Based on courses in analytical chemistry, modern methods of AC will be presented and discussed. The focus lies on the analytical techniques in laboratories of the Department of Chemistry, namely elemental mass spectrometric methods (ICP-MS) and separation methods coupled to molecular mass spectrometry (GC-MS, LC-MS). Additional contents tackle the topics of validation, sample preparation, automation and data evaluation, for both targeted and omic approaches.
The theoretical part of the course will cover all topics. The laboratories are visited to meet the instruments in a live practical course.
Students will be evaluated based on a presentation of a selected topic related to the above programme.
1. Metrology in Chemistry: Validation of analytical results, calculation of measurement uncertainty results, accreditation, ISO107025.
2. Hyphenated separation technologies I: LC-MS and mobility separations
3. Hyphenated separation technologies II: GC-MS including derivatization strategies
4. Data acquisition, processing and identity confirmation strategies in mass spectrometry
5. Microfluidics for automation and sample preparation
6. Microfluidics for separations
7. Cleanroom work
8. Lab facility tour
9. Elemental mass spectrometry I: work in analytical (and clean-room) laboratories
10. Elemental mass spectrometry II: Analysis of isotope ratios using multi collector inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (MC ICP-MS)
- Previous knowledge expected
Knowledge in analytical chemistry.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
The students will be available to select the adequate analytical method based in individual research questions.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.