120104 English III (B2): Preparation for stays abroad and standardized language tests
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Weber, Elisabeth
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2023
- Languages of instruction
This is a FLEXIBLE course. There are no fixed course dates and no sessions together (neither in-class nor via Zoom). Instead, this language course allows you to be neatly integrated in your regular schedule and work life. As a student you work your way through various tasks, watch input videos and do assignments on our e-learning platform. The focus is on your personal language development; there is no exchange with other students. If you wish to work on all for skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening) and get a guided language course while at the same time want the freedom to pick and choose when you do your tasks, this is the right course for you!
Please watch the information video (see link 'additional information' at end of page).
The main focus of English III is to familiarize students with the international standardized language testing system IELTS. Together we will explore how such tests are done so that students can successfully master such an exam at level 5.5 to 6.0.
We also work on the students' reading, writing, speaking and listening skills, do some vocabulary work and boost self-confidence when using the language.
This course is ideal for students who wish to prepare for a stay abroad.
We work with chapters 1-9 of the textbook "Focus on IELTS" (please do NOT buy the book in advance. I will provide information on our e-learning platform).
Level: band 5-6 (modest to competent user) according to IELTS.
- Previous knowledge expected
Positive completion of English II or assessment test:
For the entrance test, please follow the link:
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After the successful completion of this course, students can
* do IELTS-based tasks (listening, reading, writing, speaking) at level 5.5 to 6.0,
* use English for personal and professional contributions in written and oral settings at level B2,
* apply strategies to further their healthy and proactive relationship with English as an international means of communication,
* understand the importance of lifelong learning, especially related to foreign languages / working languages.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.