833006 Bats - identification and outdoor exercise
This page is available under these URLs:
- Exercise and field trip
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Bruckner, Alexander , Kubista, Claudia Elisa
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2023
- Languages of instruction
This lecture is separated into two parts:
* mediation of basic knowledge on biology, endangerment and conservation of bats
* insight into current issues of bat-research and bat-conservation
* species identification (by using stuffed animals, skulls and dry preparations)
* introduction to the pros and cons of the identification of bat ultrasonic calls (bat detectors)
* Introduction to practical part of the lecture:
The students are invited to form groups of two and to search for bat-roosts in previously defined green areas within the city of vienna.
This work will take place between the end of July and the end of September on 6 days (always from 4:00 to 6:30 in the morning).
- Previous knowledge expected
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Bats are an important animal group for conservation purposes, and their importance will still increase. For example, they are promising candidates for the assessment of the effects of road and wind turbine construction. However, the census of bats is methodologically difficult and a lot of know how and equipment is needed for practical work. This practice offers a basal introduction.
* basic knowledge on biology, endangerment and conservation of bats in Austria
* how to use identification keys
* how to use a bat detector
* how to collect, and present data in a comprehensible way
* how to write a scientific text
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.