120103 General English brush up (B1+)
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Weber, Elisabeth
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2023
- Languages of instruction
This is a FLEXIBLE course. There are no fixed course dates and no sessions together (neither in-class nor via Zoom). Instead, this language course allows you to be neatly integrated in your regular schedule and work life. As a student you work your way through various tasks, watch input videos and do assignments on our e-learning platform. The focus is on your personal language development; there is no exchange with other students. If you wish to work on all for skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening plus grammar) and get a guided language course while at the same time want the freedom to pick and choose when you do your tasks, this is the right course for you!
PLEASE WATCH THE INFORMATION VIDEO:
This course is ideal for (lower) intermediate students who wish to revise English tenses while at the same time seek to enhance listening, reading, writing and speaking skills in the foreign language. Together we create a supportive setting to allow for interactive language use. This also helps students develop their skills, increase vocabulary and gain more confidence when using English.
- Previous knowledge expected
Result „B1“ in the mandatory online-entrance test.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Overall learning outcome:
By the end of the course students have further developed their competences to understand and communicate personal and general professional contents in an international context using English as a means of international communication at level B1 to B1+.
This means that after the successful completion of this course, students can
* use English for personal and general professional contributions in written and oral settings at level B1 to B1+,
* apply strategies to further their healthy and proactive relationship with English as an international means of communication,
* understand the importance of lifelong learning, especially related to foreign languages / working languages.
In order to reach this goal students learn to
- Appropriately apply basic English grammar in context and understand the general underlying principles of basic grammar,
- Read and understand the quintessence of general and professional texts from various fields of everyday life,
- Understand and produce appropriate general comments in English,
- Present personal and general professional opinions and respond adequately to opinions expressed by others,
- Develop strategies to register, manage and extend their vocabulary,
- Transform their knowledge from the first language into English in a comprehensible way and vice versa,
- Apply the English language in everyday life and general professional contexts in an efficient and flexible manner,
- Develop a healthy and supportive level of self-esteem when using English as a lingua franca
- Understand the importance of and actively promote lifelong learning.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.