736302 Patent law and strategic patent management
This page is available under these URLs:
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2023
- Languages of instruction
Key words: Austrian Patent Law (PatG, patent); Austrian Utility Model Law (GMG, utility model = Gebrauchsmuster); European Patent Convention (EPC, EP-patent); in future maybe the Unitary Patent? (Einheitspatent = Patent mit einheitlicher Wirkung); Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT, international patent application); Industrial Property Rights (IPR's) and Intellectual Property (IP).
Inventions, logos or fancy names and designs can be protected in Austria by Industrial Property Rights (IPR’s) like patents or utility models for technical inventions, registered-trademarks for logos or phantasy names and registered-designs at the Austrian Patent Office for safeguarding the interests of industry, universities, scientists, designers and inventors.
In this lecture, students get an overview of the relevant regulations and procedures of the Austrian Patent Act (PatG) & the Austrian Utility Model Act (GMG), the European Patent Convention (EPC), in future possibly the Unitary Patent in 26 EU-states ("Patent mit einheitlicher Wirkung", which is still in the process of ratification, status: Q4/2019) and the international Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) system. The course offers an insight into employee’s inventions - service inventions at BOKU - at universities, patent information (patent search, translations, patent classification systems), inventions in the areas of biotechnology and the national Supplementary Protection Certificates (SPC's, Schutzzertifikat) in the fields of pharmaceuticals & pesticides. It also refers to the legal aspects of the registered-trademarks & -designs, the copyright and related rights, of IP-agreements, soft-Intellectual Properties (soft-IP’s) like know-how protection, secrecy as a holistic approach and defensive publications. In addition, knowledge in the areas of strategic IP (Intellectual Property) management, especially patent management, will be imparted.
- Previous knowledge expected
No prior knowledge required.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Objective expected results of study and acquired competences after completing the lecture, students are able to:
- Identify, describe the main areas and the procedures of all Industrial Property Rights (like patents, utility models, trademarks and designs) in Austria, especially for technical inventions the Austrian Patent Act, the Austrian Utility Model Act, the European Patent Convention, in future maybe the Unitary Patent and the international Patent Cooperation Treaty system;
- Recognise and evaluate legal issues of employee’s inventions (service inventions) at BOKU, biotechnological inventions and Supplementary Patent Certificates;
- Make decisions taking into account the requirements for a holistic IP-strategy and be able to implement this IP-knowledge in regard of any given business case.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.