932121 Estimation of breeding values in horses
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2023
- Languages of instruction
- The basic model for separating genotype and environment;
- Methods of breeding value estimation;
- Traits considered in breeding value estimation: performance and conformation;
- Relative breeding values;
- Examples of national evaluations;
- International evaluation
- Previous knowledge expected
Basic knowledge in Statistics and Animal Breeding
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
The basics of breeding value estimation and examples of methods implemented in different countries provide the framework of the lectures.
After successfully completing the course, students know the theoretical background of genetic evaluation insofar that they are able to interpret breeding values. Examples of national and international genetic evaluations allow comparisons between different horse populations worldwide. Acquired knowledge is transferable to other livestock species and may be utilized when giving professional advice to farmers.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.