754311 Practical course in dairy technology
This page is available under these URLs:
- Practical course
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Mayer-Buchegger, Valentina , Van Den Oever, Sabrina , Mayer, Helmut
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2023
- Languages of instruction
· Treatment of milk (pasteurization, centrifugation, homogenization, standardization); separation and ripening of cream
· Technological effects and control mechanisms in the production of cheese; Pilot plant productions focusing on different technological topics
· Production of soft cheese and semi-hard cheese
· Production of fermented milk products and milk drinks (fermented milk, butter milk, yoghurt, yoghurt drinks)
· Production von butter, quarg and fresh cheese
· Demonstration of the production of heated milk, concentrated milk and milk powder; ultrafiltration of whey
· HACCP-concept and QM at the Federal Institute for Dairying
· Sensory evaluation of the products - assessment of properties and typical characteristics
- Previous knowledge expected
Positive (1-2) certificate in "Dairy Technology" is a pre-requisite to get a "fixed" reservation for this Practical Course (remaining places are available for other students of Master Programme 417, ONLY!).
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After having successfully completed this practical course, students will be familiar with the basic principles of dairy technology, and are able to apply this knowledge in practice. They learn to apply selected technological procedures in a dairy pilot plant.
By manufacturing of dairy products on a small-scale, they will have basic knowledge about the treatment of milk and the technology of selected dairy products (e.g., fermented milk products, cheese, and butter), and are able to transfer theoretical knowledge of dairy technology into practical application. In addition, they know the appropriate quality control and sensory evaluation of the manufactured products. Students will have basic practical knowledge and competence in the area of dairy technology, and will be able to use these skills also in the production of milk and dairy products.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.