876100 Mechanics and statics
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Kromoser, Benjamin , Logar, Lucia , Brosch, Florian , Ortner, Maximilian , Reichenbach, Sara , Wagner, Sarah , Preßmair, Nadine , Pantscharowitsch, Marc
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2022/23
- Languages of instruction
Building on the
- Idealization of real structures and loads acting on them, mainly
- the determination of internal forces
is discussed. This discussion is supported by suitable examples.
The focus of the course lies on the
- mathematical description of forces in statically determinate structures,
- the cross section analysis and determination of stresses, and finally
- the introduction in structural design.
- the safety concept,
- the design of compression members,
- tension members,
- beams according to EUROCODE is discussed.
Emphasis is placed on
- timber and
- steel although also the
- basics of reinforced concrete design are covered.
- Previous knowledge expected
A basic understanding of mechanical and physical principles as well as high school mathematics are expected. In particular the knowledge of vector calculus and trigonometry are essential.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
The lecture´s main focus and aim, is the understanding and knowledge of the basic mechanisms and flow of forces for simple structural systems. Also, the appropriate use of fundamentals regarding (timber) design according to EUROCODE belongs to the lecture´s contents and aims. The students should be able to analyse, assess and calculate several static problems and further use the taught basics regarding design according to EUROCODE.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.