120101 Introduction to academic agricultural English
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2022/23
- Languages of instruction
Dates for Content Lectures (either in-classroom or online sessions):
Course end: Dec 21
You must attend these sessions. Additionally, there will be English coaching videos to watch and you have to complete assignments online.
PLEASE WATCH THIS INFORMATION VIDEO:
(can also be found as 120101 Introduction to Academic Agricultural English on YouTube). In case of course-related questions, please contact the mastermind of this course, Dr. Elisabeth Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are four modules, specializing on
- Technology & Environment,
- Plant Sciences,
- Livestock Sciences and
Each module takes up two weeks and includes two module lectures, one English Coaching input video and two weeks of online sessions.
- Previous knowledge expected
none, ideally: English language skills at Matura level (= B2) or better.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Students develop their competences to understand and communicate agricultural contents in an international context using English as a means of international communication.
In order to reach this goal students learn to
- Read and understand the quintessence of specialized texts from relevant fields of agricultural sciences with the help of dictionaries and other sources,
- Understand and produce appropriate general comments on specialized texts produced in English,
- Present professional opinions related to a specialized text in an academic context and respond adequately to opinions expressed by others,
- Develop strategies to register, manage and extend specialized vocabulary,
- Develop strategies to practice and apply specialized vocabulary,
- Transform specialized knowledge from the first language into English in a comprehensible way and vice versa,
- Apply specialized language in their professional and academic field(s) in an efficient and flexible manner,
- Develop a healthy and supportive level of self-esteem when using specialized language in English,
- Understand the importance of and actively promote lifelong learning.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.