912333 Scientific methods and writing skills
- Lecture and seminar
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Pesendorfer, Mario
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2023/24
- Languages of instruction
Scientific writing, while an indispensable step of the scientific process, is often neglected in undergraduate courses. However, the ability to communicate research findings effectively is crucial for success in the sciences. Therefore, it is important that students receive a solid foundation in scientific work early in their academic careers. To strengthen this, this compact course teaches/repeats basics on the process of scientific writing, researching, citing and visualisation techniques. For practice, a poster is created, discussed and presented (5 min poster pitch) to better prepare students for the important public dissemination of their research results at a conference.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
- students know about fundamentals of scientific work and scientific communication
- students have theoretical and practical skills in collecting and citing scientific information
- students have knowledge on the structure of various types of scientific publications
- students have an overview on various kinds of scientific figures and tables
students are able to create and present a scientific poster
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.