854304 Regional economy and subsistence culture
This page is available under these URLs:
- Project course
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Hintner, Clemens , Bennholdt-Thomsen, Veronika
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2023/24
- Languages of instruction
The seminar will focus on the topics of the lecture ("Regional Economy and Subsitence Culture") and aims at deepening the understanding of the introduced concepts and philosophies, and at reflecting on their application in an European context. Therefore it is crucial to participate in the lecture.
The lecture gives an introduction on regional economy and subsistence culture and their interlinkage.
Exemplified by Bolivia and Ecuador, who have integrated a clear anti-neoliberal position in their constitutions, Veronika Bennholdt-Thomsen discusses the concept and practice of Buen Vivir ("a good life") and outlines what buen vivir could mean in an European context.
Following topics will be covered:
- the link between Buen Vivir, subistence culture and regionalisiation
- alternatives to economics of growth
- Andean philosophie/cosmo vision
- the movement and the theories of demonetarisation and gift economy
- the debates on regional economy and commons in Europe and in the Andes
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After completion of this seminar students
- will have an new perspective of regional economy and subsistence culture and an understanding of their interlinkage
- will have an overview of the indigenous philosophy of growth and economy and a deeper insight into a selected philosophy
- will be able to critically reflect on current dominating economic concepts, dependencies and exploitation and modern colonialization and their impact on multiple scales
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.