857325 Advanced level remote sensing and GIS
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Bargehr, Johannes , Bauer, Thomas
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2023/24
- Languages of instruction
- Remotely sensed data and free available geodata
- Coordinate systems, reference measurements with global navigation satellite systems (GNSS)
- Digital image processing (image classification, accuracy assessment)
- GIS analysis (combination of raster and vector data)
- Visualisation of geodata
Theoretical units are combined with practical units.
Focus is laid on the analysis of raster data (DEM) and on the (semi-)automatic classification of satellite imagery for land cover/land use mapping. This serves as an input for further analysis with free available GIS data.
Students will work with ArcGIS Pro. Knowledge about the software is not necessary. An introduction will be given.
- Previous knowledge expected
Basic knowledge in Remote Sensing and GIS. These basics are conveyed in the various courses at BOKU. If necessary, the teaching material of basic courses has to be studied or recapitulated in preparation for this advanced course. Materials will be provided at BOKUlearn.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Consolidation and deepening of knowledge in the field of remote sensing and GIS in small projects. Students should be able to evaluate the application of remotely sensed imagery and free available geodata.
Students will have the competence to work with ArcGIS Pro for land cover/land use mapping and GIS analysis.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.