BOKU condemns war in Ukraine
BOKU strongly condemns the military attack on Ukraine.
As an internationally oriented university, we see our role in being a place of peaceful exchange and joint research for the benefit of all people. We would like to take this opportunity to express our solidarity with the people of Ukraine, the Ukrainian researchers and students who have come to study at the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, and to assure them of our support.
International, peaceful and global exchange in research, teaching and study is the basis of peace and democracy.
The University Council, the Rectorate and the Senate
BOKU supports measures for students and researchers from Ukraine
The war in Ukraine, which we condemn in the strongest possible terms, is a reason for the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU) to provide the best possible support to students/student applicants, researchers and refugees. In the following you will find a summary of information and current support measures on the part of BOKU. This compilation will be updated regularly.
- Information for students and applicants (waiver of tuition fees, refund of tuition fees, leave of absence from studies, etc.) from Ukraine including information on psychological support in crisis situations can be found at https://boku.ac.at/studienservices/newsitem/68016 (currently in German, translation in progress).
- Information from the ÖH-BOKU: contact details: Lucia Valentina Moreno Vega, email@example.com or 01 47654 19100. Counselling in Russian and Ukrainian is also offered by the Department for Foreign Students of the ÖH Federal Representation. In addition, an emergency aid fund (https://www.oeh.ac.at/ukraine-info; there you can also find info in Russian and Ukrainian) has been set up where students affected by the war can apply for financial support of up to 1,000€.
- Information for affected researchers:
- FWF Austrian Science Fund: The FWF is taking the following steps to support Ukrainian researchers: (i) Extensions of projects involving Ukrainian researchers. The FWF covers the additional personnel costs of Ukrainian researchers for up to one year. (ii) The review of new funding applications from and with Ukrainian researchers affected by the war will be accelerated. (https://www.fwf.ac.at/en/news-and-media-relations/news/detail/nid/20220314)
- Austrian Academy of Sciences: JESH Ukraine call for proposals. Due to the war in Ukraine, the Austrian Academy of Sciences announces a special call for proposals for Ukrainian researchers within the framework of its academic mobility programme "Joint Excellence in Science and Humanities" (JESH). The aim of the special call JESH-Ukraine is to support Ukrainian researchers who had to/are forced to leave their country in temporarily carrying out a scientific project at an Austrian research institution. (https://stipendien.oeaw.ac.at/stipendien/jesh-ukraine)
- Austrian Centre of Industrial Biotechnology (acib): acib will establish 3 scholarships for Ukrainian researchers. Further information will be announced shortly.
- A compilation of information can also be found on the pages of the works council at https://short.boku.ac.at/ex4mwd (currently in German).
- Information from the City of Vienna for people from Ukraine can be found at https://start.wien.gv.at/ukraine?fbclid=IwAR0DJpcXlfP8SPO4v3zY83_8PVM7iztPglCcCm1xPs_UvjvI1kJlSaOZB3g