IPGL - International Post-Graduate Education & Research Hub in Limnology
Key research areas
- Sustainable management of freshwater ecosystems
- Biodiversity, conservation and restoration of streams, rivers & wetlands
- Assessment of the ecological integrity of streams & rivers
- Human impact & multiple pressures on streams & rivers (climate change, land-use, hydropower & irrigation schemes, agriculture, livestock and wildlife)
- Nutrient & carbon cycles in riverine landscapes, including greenhouse gas components in streams, rivers wetlands and floodplains
- Sustainable aquaculture & fisheries
- Ecosystem services and drivers of society-nature interactions
- Research for development and SDGs
- Capacity development and networking in the global south
- Geographic focus: Eastern Africa
IPGL is an international education-, research- and networking hub with the mission to improve the sustainable management of freshwater ecosystems & its services in the global south and to contribute towards the achievement of the SDG’s 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 13, & 15.
Since 1975, more than 650 water/environmental professionals from the global south have attended IPGL training programmes. Several research & capacity development projects have been initiated/implemented in Eastern Africa and a large network of collaborating institutions and individuals has been established.
Impressions & Social Media