853307 Planning and management of protected areas
This page is available under these URLs:
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2021
- Languages of instruction
Based on the COVID-regulations the course will be held online.
The course covers the following topics:
- Definition of protected areas (national parks, biosphere reserves, nature parks, Natura 2000 sites)
- History of national parks, nature parks and biosphere reserves (on an international/national level)
- National parks, nature parks and biosphere reserves in Austria and Germany
- Planning of national parks and biosphere reserves (international and national guidelines, organisations, legislation, funding…)
- Establishment of protected areas (participation, zonation, natural and cultural resources, protection of natural processes, acceptance of natural processes)
- Management of protected areas (management plans, natural resource management, visitor management, environmental education, park-people relationships, monitoring)
- Previous knowledge expected
Basic knowledge about nature conservation
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
- are able to differentiate between the protected area types
- know the aims of different protected area types as well as the international and national guidelines
- are able to contribute to the monitoring, planning, and sustainable management of protected areas.
- can analyse the effects of protected areas on natural resources, local population and landscape
- can develop measures for conflict mitigation
- can evaluate environmental education offered by protected areas.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.