790369 Practical course in cell culture and fermentation
This page is available under these URLs:
- Exercise course
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Offered in
- Wintersemester 2020/21
- Languages of instruction
!!!! Check expected previous knowledge before registering !!!!
Part "3 D cell culture"
- Seeding of 3D matrix with model cell line
- determination of:
Cell nuclei staining (DAPI)
Part "Transfection, Characterization and Imaging of Mammalian Cells":
- Transfection of Hela cells with plasmids coding for fluorescent proteins
- Immunofluorescence staining for cell-type specific markers
- Chromosome preparation
- Discussion and interpretation of results
Part "Bioprocessing of mammalian cells"
- Assembly and programming of a stirred tank bioreactor
- Sterile connection of periphery
- Medium preparation and inoculation of the bioreactor with recombinant CHO cells
- Daily sampling to determine cell concentration, viability, recombinant protein concentration, nutrient and metabolite concentrations
- Documentation and adjustment of relevant culture parameters e.g. pH, DO etc.
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Previous knowledge expected
Only master and PhD students are accepted.
Bacchelorstudents are not accepted.
Additionally, one of the following courses must be passed with a positive mark:
Zellfabriken (791351) or Animal Cell Culture (791318) or Stem cells and tissue engineering (791367)
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After completion of this course students understand cell culture technology and its possible applications. They are able to handle mammalian cell cultures using both primary and established cell lines. Students can design cell culture experiments and interpret the analysed data. They are able to document, present and critically discuss their results in front of an audience.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.