816100 Hydrography and hydrometry
This page is available under these URLs:
- Lecture and exercise
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Hilger, Timo , Mehdi-Schulz, Bano , Mitterböck, Matthias , Herrnegger, Mathew
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2023
- Languages of instruction
Students gain knowledge of the basics of hydrology and hydrometry for the further water management subjects in the programme. The lecture begins with an introduction to basic hydrological concepts. This is followed by an overview of the elements of the water cycle (precipitation, evaporation, runoff, soil and groundwater), their measurement, representation and basic evaluation.
* Evaluation of a time series of discharge data. Representation of the hydrograph, the frequency distribution, the exceedance duration line and the sum line.
* Evaluation of a discharge measurement by means of a hydrometric vane.
* Determine precipitation interpolation and a water balance.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
At the end of the course, students can:
- explain the hydrological components of the water cycle and their processes in the formation of different water bodies.
- apply and explain the correct measurement method for the different elements of the hydrological cycle.
- present, interpret and analyse the data obtained from the components of the water cycle.
In the exercise part, they acquire an insight into the handling of hydrological data. The exercise part includes the presentation of discharge data, evaluation of streamflow measurements, as well as precipitation interpolation and water balance.
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.