814044 Glacier mass-balance measurements - summer-balance
This page is available under these URLs:
- Practical course
- Semester hours
- Lecturer (assistant)
- Infanger, Lukas , Hynek, Bernhard
- Offered in
- Sommersemester 2023
- Languages of instruction
The aim of the course series 'Glacier mass-balance measurements' is to conduct mass-balance measurements on two glaciers in the region of Hoher Sonnblick (3106 m). During the field trip the theoretical knowledge, which was acquired during the seminar (814042), will be demonstrated in practice and various measurements will be conducted.
The summer-balance will be measured around mid of August. To achieve this we will read and renew ablation gauges in the area of Hoher Sonnblick. Additionally we will conduct discharge-measurements near the glacier lake. If necessary maintenance work at the automatic weather stations and automatic cameras will be done.
Eventually the acquired data has to be evaluated.
- Previous knowledge expected
The successful completion of the seminar (814027) is a prerequisite.
For the field trips profound experience in high alpine terrain (on touring ski and on bare ice), surefootedness, and high level of fitness are required.
- Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
Students should acquire the following:
* Basic knowledge on glacial processes.
* Basic knowledge on processes related to snow (formation, evolution of the snow-pack, melt).
* Practical experience on measuring the mass-balance of glaciers under difficult conditions and measuring the discharge.
* The ability to evaluate measurement data, if applicable using a geoinformation system (GIS).
You can find more details like the schedule or information about exams on the course-page in BOKUonline.