736302 Patent law and strategic patent management (in Eng.)
- Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
- Kögl, Christian
- Angeboten im Semester
- Sommersemester 2019
- Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen
Inventions, logos or fancy names and designs can be protected in Austria by Industrial Property Rights (IPR’s) like patents or utility models for technical inventions, registered-trademarks and -designs at the Patent Office for safeguarding the interests of industry, scientists and universities.
In this lecture, students get an overview of the relevant regulations and procedures of the Austrian Patent Act (PatG) & the Austrian Utility Model Act (GMG), the European Patent Convention (EPC), in future possibly the Unitary Patent in 26 EU-states (which is still in the process of ratification, status: 04/2019) and the international Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) system. The course offers an insight into employee’s inventions at universities, patent information (patent search, translations, patent classification systems), inventions in the areas of biotechnology and the national Supplementary Protection Certificates (SPC's) in the fields of pharmaceuticals & pesticides. It also refers to the legal aspects of the registered-trademarks & -designs, the copyright and related rights, of IP-agreements, soft-Intellectual Properties (soft-IP’s) like know-how protection, secrecy as a holistic approach and defensive publications. In addition, knowledge in the areas of strategic IP management, especially patent management, as well as the commercialisation of IPR’s will be imparted.
- Inhaltliche Voraussetzungen (erwartete Kenntnisse)
No prior knowledge is required.
Objective (expected results of study and acquired competences)
After completing the lecture, students are able to:
- To identify and describe the main areas and the procedures of the Austrian Patent Act, the European Patent Convention and the international Patent Cooperation Treaty system;
- Recognise and evaluate legal issues of biotechnological inventions, Suplementary Patent Certificates and employee’s inventions at BOKU; and
- Make decisions taking into account the requirements for a holistic IP-strategy and be able to implement this IP-knowledge in regard of any given business case.
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.