Students from third countries (Non-EU/EEA/Switzerland) - stay up to 6 months
This page is available under these URLs:
Students from third countries (non-EU/EEA/Switzerland) who are planning to stay in Austria for less than six months must apply for one of the following visas at the respective competent Austrian authority (Embassy, consulate-general) in their country of residence:
- Visa C - for stays of up to 90 days. Exception: students who are entitled to enter Austria without a visa.
- Visa D - for stays of more than 90 days up to a maximum of 180 days. Exception: Japanese nationals.
Further information, application forms, and document requirements can be found on the OeAD database.
Exceptions for students from third countries with a residence title 'Student' from another EU country
Students who are taking part in a Union or multilateral mobility programme (e.g. Erasmus+, OeAD scholarship) or for whom an agreement between two or more higher education institutions is in place and who are in possession of a valid residence title "Student" of another EU member country (Denmark, Great Britain, Ireland) are allowed to enter Austria without requiring a visa and to stay in Austria for up to 360 days.
Complete the 'Confirmation of participation in a Union, multilateral mobility programme, or agreement between two or more higher education institutions' form and have it signed by your BOKU coordinator!
To prove that you are residing in Austria legally, you need:
- a signed copy of the form above,
- a valid travel document (at least valid for another 3 months, no older than 10 years, at least 2 pages long)
- a valid residence title 'Student' from another EU country
- valid health insurance
- proof of entry date into Austria (passport stamp, train/bus/flight ticket, petrol station receipt,...)
Students from third countries with a valid residence title 'Student' from Great Britain, Ireland, or Denmark, who are planning to stay in Austria for a period of 3-6 months, require a visa which can only be applied for at the Austrian respective authorites in Bratislava, Ljubljana, or Munich.
Please note: You cannot extend your visa in Austria! If you are planning to stay in Austria for more than 6 months, then you must apply for a Residence Permit 'Student' before you enter Austria.