The BOKU is an internationally-orientated university, where students from all over the world are warmly welcome!

We did our best to put together all the relevant information on travelling and living in Austria as a student, and to highlight the potential issues you may encounter. The most up-to-date information, such as application forms and document checklists, can be found in the OeAD database.

For students from non-EU countries we are happy to offer support and to answer any questions you may have.

EU/EEA member state or Switzerland

If you are from an EU/EEA member state or from Switzerland you do not have to apply for a visa to stay in Austria. A valid travel document (passport or identity card) for your entry and stay in Austria is sufficient. Within three days of your arrival you should register at the local authorities, by completing and submitting a 'Meldezettel'.

Details on the registration process and information on insurance and employment can be found on the OeAD database.

Students from third countries (non-EU/EEA/Switzerland)

Students from third countries require either a visa (if staying up to 6 months), or a Residence Permit 'Student' (if staying more than 6 months).

At the BOKU, students from all over the world are very welcome. It is important to note that an admission letter from the university is no guarantee that you will receive a visa or residence permit in Austria. The authorities in Vienna consider the requirements, applications, and submitted documents very carefully and decide from case to case, whether a student will receive a residence permit or not.

As of April 2021: Please note that only travel insurances will be accepted for visa applications that also cover you in the event of a corona illness.