Category Research - Dissertations, Publications, Research projects
This page is available under these URLs:
BOKU Sustainability Award
Category Research – dissertation, scientific publications & research projects
In the context of the yearly Sustainability Award, BOKU wants to highlight the sustainability research which is conducted by BOKU researchers and students.
BOKU students and researchers are cordially invited to submit their sustainability-related research of the last three years for a presentation at the BOKU Sustainability Day and thus for the BOKU Sustainability Award "Licht der Zukunft” (Light of the Future) in the category “Research”.
What is sustainability-related research?
Sustainability-related research is research that addresses aspects of sustainable development in the broadest sense. In any case, research addressing the Sustainable Development Goals (or one single SDG) and pursuing a system-oriented approach is included. For more information, see the evaluation criteria or contact email@example.com
Process – from your submission to the Sustainability Award
- All submissions will be reviewed by a jury consisting of the vice-rector for research, a member of the ÖH BOKU, the Centre for Global Change and Sustainability and the BOKU working group sustainability research.
- The jury selects the submissions that will be presented at the sustainability day. All submitters will be notified by beginning of November about the results of the jury.
- Selection of three submissions for the BOKU Sustainability Award will be announced on site at the sustainability day (after the presentation)
- The winner of the BOKU Sustainably Award will be announced at the evening event of the BOKU Sustainability Day.
The BOKU Sustainability Award of this category is endowed with € 1.800,- in total. The 1st prize wins € 1.000,- and a trophy, the two other winners win € 400,- each.
Requirements for submission:
- Please use the pre-defined form for submission (see above). Complete publications should be submitted separately as pdf.
- Submission is open to BOKU employees and BOKU students. Former BOKU students and employees can also submit papers that were created during that time as BOKU employees / students.
- Only finished (submitted) publications, final reports of research projects, completed dissertations, etc. will be accepted.
- Research papers from the last 3 years can be submitted.
- Several abstracts can be submitted per person, however, a maximum of one lecture per person will be awarded.
- A work can be submitted by several people. If you win the sustainability award, the prize has to be shared.
- Language for submissions and presentation: German or English
- Maximum length of the abstracts: 350 words, sources should be limited to the short form, e.g. (Müller 2010)
- By submitting you agree to the publication of your abstract.
- Consent to the recording of your presentation in sound and image is requested (see form)
What to submit:
- Submission form
- your paper
- a photo, which is related to your topic (incl. photo-credits)
- Download submission form
- bokulearn course page
- After having successfully submitted your paper, you will receive all the important information on the date of the presentation and the award ceremony.
- The presentation will be held on the BOKU Sustainabiltiy Day on November 7, 2023 using the Pecha Kucha Format (20 slides with 20 seconds each, see https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecha_Kucha)
- Please use the option self-registration on bokulearn. If you do not have an active BOKU account, please ask a team member if they can do the submission for you. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The presentations at the BOKU Sustainability Day take place in the Pecha Kucha format (20 slides for 20 seconds each, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PechaKucha).
Examples of Pecha Kucha Presentations at BOKU Sustainability Days:
- Beispielvorträge 2016
- Beispielvorträge 2017
- Beispielvorträge 2018
- Beispielvorträge 2019
- Beispielvorträge 2020
- Beispielvorträge 2021
 Applies to payment to non-BOKU employees or associations, as well as inter-company payments. Prize payments to persons employed at BOKU result in lower payments as it is considered as a salary bonus, which includes tax payments, etc.