Christoph Schunko, Ass.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.
Division of Organic Farming
Department of Sustainable Agricultural Systems
University of Natural Ressources and Life Sciences, Vienna
Gregor-Mendel-Strasse 33, 1180 Vienna
My research focuses on local knowledge about wild plant gathering in organic farming and beyond. This includes research about the
- dynamics of local knowledge of gatherers about wild plant species and the ecosystems they are growing in;
- value chains of (organic) wild plant products;
- ecological and socio-political sustainability of (organic) wild plant gathering;
- cultivation and domestication of wild plants in organic farming.
I am thereby interested in European and non-European territories, rural, suburban and urban regions and commercial and non-commercial wild plant gathering. In addition, I work on the advancement of research designs and methods including participatory research and Citizen Science.
Short Curriculum Vitae
- 2017-ongoing Tenure track position at IFÖL / BOKU
- 2014-2017 University assistant at IFÖL / BOKU
- 2012-2016 Dissertation at BOKU
- 2012-2015 Synthesis officer and project manager in EU FP7 funded COMBIOSERVE project at IFÖL / BOKU
- 2009-2011 Project assistant at IFÖL / BOKU
- 2006-2009 Master Studies in Organic Agriculture at BOKU and Iowa State University (ISU), USA
- 2003-2006 Bachelor studies in Agricultural Sciences at BOKU and Ecole d’Ingénieurs de Purpan (EIP), France
- Local Indicators of Climate Change Impacts: The Contribution of Local Knowledge to Climate Change Research – LICCI
- Gathering wild foods in urban areas – mixed-methods study on ecological and socio-political sustainability of gathering in Vienna – UrbanWildFoods
- Gathering of wild plant species in organic farming – OrganicWildGathering