Leave of absence
This page is available under these URLs:
Leave of absence
The request for leave of absence must be submitted in writing to the Study Services, along with the necessary supporting documents until the beginning of each semester for which the leave of absence is being applied.
It is possible to take a leave of absence during the semester* in the event of certain legally defined unforeseen and unavoidable reasons (the reasons 2 -4 mentioned below and a temporary impairment in connection with a disability).
The leave of absence is only valid at BOKU. If you wish to take a leave of absence at another Austrian university, you will have to apply separately at that university.
Reasons for leave of absence:
- Performance of military or civil service (presentation of draft notice [Einberufungsbescheid])
- Illness that demonstrably prevents you from pursuing your studies (presentation of written confirmation from a medical specialist)
- Pregnancy (presentation of mother/child pass)
- Caring for one’s own children (presentation of birth certificate)
- Other valid reasons (e.g. employment, family reasons, completion phase of studies, etc.). Students must present a credible reason for leave of absence.
Admission to the university will remain unaffected during leave of absence but students may not participate in courses, sit for examinations or turn in assessments of scientific papers. All examinations taken before the leave of absence remain valid.
Please inform yourself in advance with the authorities concerned about possible consequences (e.g. tax office, scholarship office, Wiener Linien, etc.).
Payment of tuition fees during leave of absence:
In order to maintain membership in the Austrian student union, students must pay tuition fees including a special contribution (student union fee) in the amount of €22.70.
If you already paid your tuition fees, you can apply for a refund of the tuition fees if your application for a leave of absence was handed in for the winter semester by 30th October / for the summer semester by 30th April.
*Before the beginning of the registration period for the upcoming semester