790350 Bioprocess engineering I (in Eng.)

Vorlesung und Übung
Vortragende/r (Mitwirkende/r)
Leigheb, Sabrina , Frank, Anna , Buyel, Johannes , Striedner, Gerald
Angeboten im Semester
Wintersemester 2023/24
Unterrichts-/ Lehrsprachen


-Introduction to products, projects and process development

-Mass transfer and oxygen supply
-Microbial cell culture
-Bioreactor operation in batch and fed-batch mode
-Continuous operation in perfusion and chemostat mode
-Process control and monitoring
-Up- and downscale of bioprocesses
-Mammalian and insect cell culture

-Cell lysis methods
-Centrifugation principles and scaling
-Filtration types, models and performance as well as necessary sensors
-Chromatography pt1: resin types and properties
-Chromatography pt2: sorption processes and isotherms
-Chromatography pt3: mass transport models
-Chromatography pt4: operation and gradients


The timely submission of ALL exercises in a handwritten scanned form as PDF file is mandatory. The exercises will be checked randomly and will account for 20% of the final grade (the written exam will account for the remaining 80%). A positive completion of the exercises is a prerequisite for the admission to the written examination.

Inhaltliche Voraussetzungen (erwartete Kenntnisse)

-Basics chemical engineering knowledge as well as contents of the "basics in bioprocess engineering" (LBT bachelor) is requested.
-This includes basics in heat, mass, momentum transfer, and basics in thermodynamics.
-The ability to solve differential equations (ODE solver) is expected.


After completion of this course students:
-are able to generate a functional specification for a biotechnological production plant for the manufacture of a biological compound
-can develop and integrate a holistic approach to solve problems in bioprocess engineering
-can design up- and downstream processing and account for scaling of the equipment
-deal with issues arising from combinations of products, production systems, purification technologies and application areas

Specifically, students can:
-resolve mass, energy and impulse transfer problems during microbial and cell culture fermentation, e.g. design process to ensure sufficient oxygen supply
-select a proper operation strategy (e.g. fed-batch) for a given host-product combination (and optional process restrictions)
-assemble suitable in-/on-/at-/off-line monitoring tools/strategy to facilitate an in-depth process analysis/characterization
-translate process monitoring results into a robust control strategy, e.g. to balance oxygen supply against shear stresses
-select the most appropriate extraction and clarification unit operations for a given host-product combination, e.g. considering costs, throughput, scalability
-lay out sequences and scales of clarification equipment based on process properties, e.g. solids load and host cell type
-explain in detail the underlaying mechanisms of product (an impurity) sorption processes to stationary phases during separation (e.g. calculate chromatographic velocities)
-calculate mass transfer effects in and around stationary phases and determine their impact on both sorption speed and device capacity
-select the most appropriate operation mode for chromatographic equipment, e.g. bind-and-elute mode, and design the necessary protocols, e.g. linear gradients
Noch mehr Informationen zur Lehrveranstaltung, wie Termine oder Informationen zu Prüfungen, usw. finden Sie auf der Lehrveranstaltungsseite in BOKUonline.