What can I study at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences?

The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences is one of the leading universities in the field of life sciences and sustainability in Europe. More than 40 diverse and often unique studies enable you to help shape the future of our planet. Whether you are studying for a bachelor's, master's or doctorate degree, our programmes combine natural sciences, technology, economics and social sciences and range from agricultural sciences, food and biotechnology to forestry, landscape planning, landscape architecture and environmental engineering. At BOKU, you can contribute to future issues and find the education that will make your profession a vocation.

Click here for all study options:

Where can I get more information about the fields of study?
  • There are online self-tests for the Bachelor's degree programmes - click through and find out whether the respective degree programme matches your interests and expectations! (German)
  • Every year BOKU organises a study information day, where you can get detailed information about all Bachelor programmes and get to know BOKU. Videos with impressions of lecturers and students can be found on the BOKU YouTube Channel. (German)
  • In the podcast "Weitsicht - Studieren für die Zukunft" students talk about their everyday life, professors about various research projects and graduates give insight into their activities and career opportunities. There is also a separate episode for each Bachelor's programme. (German)
I am still unsure what to study - where can I get advice?
  • BOKU4you is the office for student counselling and offers various counselling options: In person or online in the consultation hours of the study counsellors, in the introductory counselling by students or at the annual study information day. Click here for BOKU4you.
  • The Docservice offers advice on doctoral studies.
  • The BOKU Student Union (ÖH BOKU) is your legal representation of interests and consists of student volunteers. They also answer questions, initiate projects, organise events and help you in emergencies in order to represent you in the best possible way.
What about job prospects after a BOKU degree?

BOKU regularly conducts surveys among graduates to find out in which fields they work, how long on average they look for a job after graduation, how satisfied they are with their studies and the professions they have chosen, and much more.
You can find the results in "Careers with BOKU studies".

What are the locations of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences?

The main BOKU campuses are located in Gregor-Mendel-Straße/Türkenschanze in 1180 Vienna, in Muthgasse in 1190 Vienna and in Konrad-Lorenz-Straße in 3430 Tulln.

To the site plans of the locations 

To the interactive BOKU-Navi

What are the admission requirements for studying at the University of University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences?

Here you can find information on the study requirements for international students.

Can I study at BOKU while working?

The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences does not currently offer a degree programme that is specifically tailored to working students. Most courses take place between 08:00 and 18:00. The workload is also designed as a full-time study programme; gainful employment usually means that the study programme cannot be completed in the minimum duration of study. Whether it is possible to work while studying depends very much on the flexibility of the job, as there can be many irregular appointments (especially in the higher semesters). A suggested timetable for the respective studies can be found on BOKUonline

How much is the tuition fee?

Students from Austria, the rest of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are exempt from paying tuition fees for the duration of the standard period of study plus two semesters (Attention: there are even more reasons for exemption!).

Here you will find detailed information!

What grants and scholarships are available?

Study grants (Studienbeihilfe): Austrian citizens as well as foreigners and stateless persons with equal status are entitled to study grants. The awarding of the study grant depends on the amount of the parents' income as well as on the existence of a favourable study success.

The ÖH support fund offers financial support for additional costs incurred during studies. The offer is aimed at students with disabilities, chronic or mental illnesses or partial performance disorders, students with language barriers and students with childcare obligations.

Tip: The Austrian Exchange Service (OeAD) offers a good overview of other scholarships on its website

What are ECTS points?

In order to make the amount of work per course comparable, each course is assigned a certain number of ECTS points according to the European Credit Transfer System. At BOKU, 1 ECTS point corresponds to 25 working hours. By completing courses positively (through exams, seminar papers or other examination achievements), you collect ECTS points. For the completion of a Bachelor's degree you have to pass a total of 180 ECTS credits. Here you can find more information about ECTS.

How do I register for courses?

You can register via BOKUonline. In this portal you will also find a recommendation from BOKU for each degree programme, which courses are useful in which semester, as well as an appointment calendar function. Here you can find a step-by-step guide to course registration with helpful screenshots.

Here you can find the most important settings and options in BOKUonline for the first weeks of study.

Courses in BOKUonline

Exams in BOKUonline.


What are scripts and where can I find them?
  • A script is the learning document that summarises the content of a particular course. The scripts are written by the lecturers and are usually updated annually, at least if something changes in the lecture content. In most cases, you will find out in the first lecture where you can buy or download the relevant script.
  • The learning materials for many courses are available online, mostly on the learning platform "BOKU learn". If you have registered for a course in BOKUonline, you are automatically registered for the corresponding course on BOKU learn.

There is also a transcript exchange, forums per field of study where helpful tips on courses are collected and other ways to find out about the content of individual courses. Here you can find more information on scripts.

How do I use the BOKU University Library?

For BOKU students, the BOKUcard is automatically valid as a borrowing card. An extra registration is not necessary. The main library is located in the Wilhelm-Exner-Haus on the ground floor on the left. In addition, there are specialised libraries of various institutes.

In the library, you can borrow books and other media and use reading places to work. There are also meeting rooms that can be used for group work.

There are regular free guided tours of the university library, where you can learn everything about the correct use of the library. Workshops on how to use various citation management software or how to search efficiently in literature databases can also be very helpful, especially at the beginning of your studies.

How do I get a discount for the Mensa?

In the Mensa on the Türkenschanze, students receive the menus at a reduced price. In order to take advantage of the discount, you have to register at the Mensa and then have your account activated at the ÖH-Sekretariat (Tüwi).

Mensa ÖH-Bonussystem (mensen.at)

What housing options are there in Vienna?

Under the following link you will find an overview of student halls of residence, platforms for flat-sharing and flat-hunting. This ÖH brochure also contains a lot of information on the topic of housing, including tenancy law, housing subsidies and a checklist for finding a flat. Attention: If you move to Vienna for your studies or move within Vienna, you have to register your new address with the registration service within three days: Registration and notice of change (wien.gv.at)

How can I get around in Vienna?

For students under 26 years of age, the Wiener Linien offer a very cheap semester ticket.

Getting around Vienna by car is not recommended - cycling is a more sustainable way to get around. To the bicycle route planner

You commute to Vienna? Then the Klimaticket could also be interesting for you - the ticket is valid on many routes for train and bus throughout Austria.

I am a parent - where can I find information on studying with a child?

There is a kindergarten for children of BOKU students and BOKU staff at the Türkenschanze location.

This ÖH brochure provides a lot of information on the topic of studying with a child.

I have a study-relevant impairment - how can I study without barriers?

The ÖH offers counselling and information on this topic: Office for Inclusive Education | Österreichische Hochschüler_innenschaft (oeh.ac.at)

At BOKU, the following offers are available:

  • The Coordination Office for Equality, Diversity and Disability (Disability Officer) offers information on all questions related to studying with impairments, in particular on compensation for disadvantages in admission, studies and examinations, barrier-free access to university buildings, support options, personal assistance needs or financial questions.

DI Ruth Scheiber-Herzog
Tel.: (01) 47654 - 19401
E-Mail: kostelle@boku.ac.at