Registration in Vienna
Local registration in Vienna
Everyone who lives in Austria is required by Austrian law to register with the local authorities. Registration with the municipal authorities (see list below) must be completed within three (working) days of your stay in Austria. The documents required are a valid passport and the residence registration form ("Meldezettel").
There are 19 Residence Registration Service Centers (Meldeservices) in Vienna. Further information, including addresses and opening hours, can be found here.
The "Meldezettel" can be obtained at the municipal authorities, in the BOKU-International Relations or downloaded here. When changing your address during your stay in Vienna, you need to inform the municipal authorities by filling in a new "Meldezettel". A couple of days before your departure from Vienna, you need to sign off.
(Inofficial English translation - just for your information - not to be used for the application)
Please register within 3 days after your arrival!
Registration in Austria
Compulsory for EU/EEA citizens who stay longer than 3 months!
If you are an EEA citizen (EU country + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or a Swiss citizen and want to stay in Austria for longer than 3 months you have to register with the competent municipal authority (Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) at the latest 4 months after your registration in Vienna and you will receive a confirmation of registration (up to EUR 55 fee).
For this registration the following documents are necessary:
- filled in and signed application form,
- valid identification card or passport,
- proof of an adequate health insurance (e.g. European Health Insurance Card),
- proof of sufficient financial means (income statements such as scholarships or confirmation of maintenance payments by parents including bank statements)
- students also need a confirmation of admission by the university (Student's enrolment records (Inskriptionsbestätigung), confirmation of enrolment or student ID card)
This registration is necessary in addition to the one according to the Registration Act! In case of non-compliance with this regulation a fine (up to € 250) may be imposed.
(Inofficial English tranlsation - just for your information - not to be used for the application)