Double Degree Transatlantic Forestry Master (TRANSFOR-M) - BOKU as Home University
TRANSFOR-M with BOKU as home university
TRANSatlantic FORestry Master (TRANSFOR-M)
TRANSFOR-M is a two-year, course-based exchange programme leading to a European and a Canadian Master's degree in Forestry and Environmental Management. TRANSFOR-M students are trained in modern sustainable forestry and environmental management approaches that are sensitive to cultural and situational differences. They acquire an expanded global perspective that takes into account multicultural perspectives on environmental, economic and cultural issues. Students can choose from a range of Master's programmes offered by participating departments and universities. Each student will spend one year in Canada and one year in Europe in an English-language Master's programme.
TRANSFOR-M students with BOKU as host university find more information on following website: http://short.boku.ac.at/int-in-js-transform
This is the information website for students who want's to apply for the TRANSFOR-M programme!
For (future) students from BOKU 4 Canadian universities are eligible for a 1-year exchange starting with the winter semester (fall semester)
Steps (in chronological order)
- After the admission
- 1st year (BOKU)
- 2nd year (in Canada)
- Defensio and Graduation
- Compulsory information consultation with the TRANSFOR-M administrative coordinator at BOKU (appointment via jointstudy(at)boku.ac.at)
- Application for the TRANSFOR-M programme at BOKU - Next deadline: December 15 2022 (Extended deadline: January 11 2023)
- TRANSFOR-M Application form: Application form
- Free-form CV (1-2 pages)
- 2 TRANSFOR-M Letters of recommendation (3 for UBC as hosting university): Letter of Recommendation
- Letter of motivation (not more than 2 pages)
- Academic transcripts of current and previous degrees
Language certificate: English (if not native language or language of instruction)
Please note that applications in 2022 with University of British Columbia are not possible.
Send your application documents to email@example.com before the deadline.
- Final selection by the TRANSFOR-M Committee in January
- You will be informed in writing about the outcome of the selection interview (including a TRANSFOR-M letter of acceptance).
We seek to promote equal opportunities and access, inclusion and fairness across all our actions. We explicitly encourage students with special needs or from underrepresented groups to apply. Please find more information on facilities for students with special needs and visit the website of the Coordination office for Equal Opportunities, Diversity and Disability.
Note regarding the information on all legal aspects of the study programme (admission, examinations, graduation,....): Only the information available on the BOKU Study Services websites is legally binding.
Admission for students with national/international qualifications
- Application for full admission to an English-language Master's programme at BOKU. https://short.boku.ac.at/yp5wwg (Mountain Forestry http://short.boku.ac.at/wo2rk)
- Information on full admission with international previous education can be found here: https://short.boku.ac.at/eg4mk
- Information on tuition fees: https://boku.ac.at/en/studienservices/themen/studienbeitraege-foerderungen
- Please be aware that the admission process can take 12-15 weeks and take into account that you may need to legalize your documents depending on your country of origin.
3. After admission (before the start of the semester at BOKU)
- Preparation for your stay at BOKU
- A good start: Plan your studies at BOKU
- A good start: Plan your life in Vienna
- Apply for a residence permit in Austria in time (3-6 months before entry) Entry and residence permit (visa)
- After receiving the admission letter - work out the study plan together with BOKU administrative coordinator and partner institution.
Registration and enrolment at BOKU
- Online - pre-registration https://short.boku.ac.at/it-pre-registration
- Register as a Master student at BOKU(in person) (e.g.Mountain Forestry http://short.boku.ac.at/wo2rk)
- Please note the dates and deadlines: https://boku.ac.at/en/studienservices/themen/termine-fristen
- Please note that students can only enrol for their Master programme at BOKU Study Services in presence (no only enrollment is possible).
4. 1st year at BOKU (home university)
- Course attendance
- In the second semester:
- Preparations for final thesis (see Master's thesis, Defensio and Graduation)
- Preparations for the mobility year in Canada
- Equivalence list and study plan must be approved before departure for courses to be credited
- Submit for funding via Joint Study Freemover Scholarship or KUWI (for further information and deadlines see Tuition Fees, Scholarships and Grants)
- Additional preparations for your stay in Canada together with partner university
5. 2nd year at host university
- Start in Canada in the winter semester (Fall semester)
- Start at the Canadian partner university only possible in the fall semester
- Course attendance/research work/Master's thesis
- Make sure that you are enrolled as a student at BOKU for the entire duration of the programme. Also during your stay at the Canadian university. This means that you have to pay your ÖH-fee every semester: If you have to pay tuition fees, you also have to pay them every semester.
Reports on stays abroad via TRANSFOR-M: https://short.boku.ac.at/int-out-jsfm-report-Canada
Master's thesis, Defensio and Graduation
- Search for topic and supervisors (one at BOKU, one at host institution)
- Completion of form and confirmation by Programme Academic Coordinators : TRANSFOR-M Thesis : TRANSFOR-M Abschlussarbeit: Thesis/Major Essay
- Registration of the thesis with the BOKU Study Services (before departure in the second year))
- Registration form
- Guidelines cover pages: https://short.boku.ac.at/deckblaetter/masterarbeit/masterstudien/international-eng0 (since Oct 1 2021)
- Information on the Master's thesis: https://boku.ac.at/en/studienservices/themen/infos-studienabschluss/abschlussarbeiten/masterarbeiten
Defensio and Graduation
- Graduation according to the guidelines of the two universities attended: https://short.boku.ac.at/infos-studienabschluss/masterstudien/boku-eng
- Defensio according to the guidelines for the defensio of a master thesis at BOKU: http://short.boku.ac.at/qp8mp
Tuition Fees, Scholarships and Grants
Tuition fees have to be paid at the home university. No tuition fees are due at the partner institution. Find out here if you have to pay tuition fees https://boku.ac.at/en/studienservices/themen/studienbeitraege-foerderungen
Scholarships and Grants for Full-Study
Mobility Scholarships (for Canada)
- BOKU Joint Study Freemover Exchange Programme (deadline for submission: January or May/June): More information http://short.boku.ac.at/int-out-jsfm-en
- BOKU KUWI - for the master thesis abroad (deadline: May/June) - More information: http://short.boku.ac.at/int-out-kuwi-en.html
English Master Programmes & Programme Coordinators
Mountain Forestry: http://short.boku.ac.at/yow28
Programme Coordinator Mountain Forestry: Prof. Georg Gratzer
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, BOKU
TRANSFOR-M Administrative Coordinator
Peter Jordan-Straße 82a, A-1190 Vienna
Tel.: +43 1 47654-32015
Consultation hours: https://short.boku.ac.at/kyrillsattlberger