TRANSFOR-M with BOKU as host University

Friedrich Maier from Pixabay

 TRANSatlantic FORestry Master (TRANSFOR-M)

TRANSFOR-M is a two-year, course-based exchange programme leading to a European and a Canadian Master's degree in Forestry and Environmental Management. TRANSFOR-M students are trained in modern sustainable forestry and environmental management approaches that are sensitive to cultural and situational differences. They acquire an expanded global perspective that takes into account multicultural perspectives on environmental, economic and cultural issues. Students can choose from a range of Master's programmes offered by participating departments and universities. Each student will spend one year in Canada and one year in Europe in an English-language Master's programme.

Within this programme the University of New Brunswick (UNB), University of Alberta (UoA) and The University of British Columbia (UBC) and Lakehead University (from 2024 on) sending students to european universities for one year.

More information for students with BOKU as home university is available here: TransforM with BOKU as home University

Get in touch with other students in the BOKU Exchange ALUMNI Facebook group.

About TRANSFOR-M with BOKU as host University

After your application at your home university and the selection within the Transfor-M comittee you will be nominated to BOKU. 

At BOKU you need to get a full admission to an English Master programme. Contact us for information concerning the legalization of the documents!

Find more information and the curriculum at the Mountain Forestry Webpage and the Water Management and Environmental Engineering Webpage. See §2 admission requirements in the curriculum of Mountain Forestry.

Full admission to BOKU Master programme

Link to Information about full admission with international educational background:

Note on the information on all legal aspects of studies (admission, examinations, completion,...): Only the information available on the websites of the BOKU study services is legally binding.


  1. Application form
  2. Evidence of previous studies (bachelor degree, diploma)
  3. Transcript stating subjects, marks, ECTS and contents of teaching
  4. Fulfilment of the special University entrance qualification
    = Confirmation of home university that you would be entitled to enroll in a Master's programme without requiring any further entrance exams, interviews, etc.
  5. CV
  6. Evidence of adequate proficiency of English
    = Completion of a study programme that was entirely taught in English from countries with English as the official language

Note: Contact us for information concerning legalization of the documents!

Translation regulations:
All documents must be submitted in German or English

Application Deadlines: we recommend to apply as soon as the decision for accepting you into the TRANSFOR-M programme was made. Please be aware that the admission process can take 12-15 weeks and take into account that you may need to legalize your documents depending on your country of origin.


 Planning the stay

  1. Get admission to Master programme at BOKU
  2. We recommend an application for a „Residence Permit Student“ 3-6 months before entry
    Entry and Resience Permits:
    Database Entry and Residence:
  3. As soon as you got your admission, please contact us so we can start to write your study plan.
  4. Prepare for your stay (housing, ... ) at BOKU, Vienna:


Registration and enrolment at BOKU

  1. Online - pre-registration
  2. Register as a Master student at BOKU(in person) (e.g.Mountain Forestry
  • Bring your admission letter (original document!)
  • Please note the dates and deadlines:
  • Please note that students can only enrol for their Master programme at BOKU Study Services in presence (no online enrollment is possible).
  • Students with a BOKU bachlor: please follow the rules for internal registration:

Fulfilment of Curriculum - list of equivalent courses

To get a degree at BOKU make sure to follow the curriculum of your study programme.

Curriculum Mountain forestry:

For crediting of courses from the canadian university please read all information on the page equivalence list.

Tuition Fees, Scholarships and Grants

Tuition fees have to be paid at the home university. No tuition fees are due at the partner institution. Find out here if you have to pay tuition fees Incoming Students (BOKU host students) only have to pay ÖH-fees. Incoming students don't have to pay tuition fees only ÖH-fee!

Scholarships and Grants for Full-Study

Mobility Scholarships (for Canada) (only for incomings at BOKU in the first year)

Master's thesis, Defensio and Graduation


  1. Search for topic and supervisors (one at BOKU, one at host institution)
  2. Completion of form and confirmation by Programme Academic Coordinators : TRANSFOR-M Thesis : TRANSFOR-M Abschlussarbeit: Thesis/Major Essay
  3. Registration of the thesis with the BOKU Study Services (before departure /after arrival in the second year))

Defensio and Graduation

  • If you want to have previously acquired academic titles on your degree, you must promptly submit your original graduation document to the Student Services (at the registration office) so that the title can be entered on the BOKU degree certificate.
  • After course recognition with the equivalence list ask for assessment (Vorkontrolle) of all your courses in time (one semester prior to graduation) by the Study Services office, so that any deficiencies can be remedied in a timely manner. For this purpose, send an email including a list of the elective courses and the free elective courses to studienservices(at)
  • Graduation according to the guidelines of the two universities attended.
  • Defensio according to the guidelines for the defensio of a master thesis at BOKU:
  • Register your Defensio in time!

English Master programmes: Website

Mountain Forestry:

Programme Coordinator Mountain Forestry:

Ao.Univ.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. nat.techn. Prof. Georg Gratzer



Click here