Application procedure & duration of the stay

What application procedures are necessary for my Erasmus+ semester?

1. Application at BOKU via the online database Mobility Online.

Please note the application deadlines! See: "How to apply"
(application for the next winter semester in Dec./January and for the next summer semester in April/May).
If your application was successfully accepted at BOKU, you will be nominated by us at the partner university for a stay abroad.

2. Application at the partner university: After the successful nomination by BOKU at the host university, you also have to apply at the host university. PLEASE NOTE: The two application procedures are separate processes. The application procedures at the partner universities differ depending on the university (different deadlines, required documents, etc.).
Application deadlines for the WS: approx. spring
Application deadlines for the summer semester: approx. beginning of autumn
Deadlines tend to be very early in Scandinavia and later in the Southern programme countries.
It is your responsibility to submit all required documents on time!

If your courses are already listed on the application form of the host university, you must have already obtained the confirmation of the courses from your Departmental Coordinator on your Learning Agreement. The Learning Agreement has to be uploaded in Mobility Online, so that the application can be signed by the BOKU-IR Erasmus+ Outgoing Coordinator.


For stays abroad as of the academic year 2021/22 the payment of the Erasmus+ grant will be processed via the BOKU-IR office using Mobility Online.

Please maintain the Mobility Online database of BOKU and if applicable the database of your host university during your entire stay.

How should I choose the duration of my stay abroad?

Choose the period of time abroad exactly according to the academic calendar of your host university. In case your stay is shorter than expected (required minimum stay: 2 months), the second instalment will be billed on a daily basis, depending on how long you actually stayed at the host university. The exact period of your stay will be confirmed at the end of your stay by means of a confirmation of stay, which must be signed by the host university. However, the actual dates of your stay cannot exceed the period agreed at the beginning via the Grant Agreement. If you want to extend your stay, you have to apply for an extension; see "How can I extend my Erasmus+ stay?

What do I have to do if I stay shorter than originally planned?

Enter your actual dates of stay in Mobility Online and let your host university sign the confirmation of stay with the final dates. You will then receive a second instalment payment that is less than the initially calculated amount. (you'll get less for the days you have left earlier).

How can I extend my Erasmus+ stay?

To extend your Erasmus+ stay, you need to upload the fully signed application for the extension in Mobility Online at least four weeks before your originally planned end. Extensions must directly adjoin to the initial stay, last for a minimum of 15 days and not exceed the maximum possible Erasmus+ funding period of 12 months per level of study (Bachelor or Master). A new Learning Agreement must be issued and a minimum of 3 ECTS per month must still be completed. An extension is possible until the 30th of September of the following year at the latest.

Please note that there is no legal entitlement to an extension. The allocation per academic year is subject to budget availability. Extensions are subject to availability and only possible as Zero Grant mobility in 2022/23!

Erasmus+ Grant & Insurance | Study Grant & Study Fees

How is my Erasmus+ grant calculated and when will it be paid?

You are entitled to receive the Erasmus+ grant, if you complete at least 3 ECTS per month at the host university. The grant is calculated on a daily basis based on your actual length of stay.

From 2021/22, 70% will be paid at the beginning of the stay and 30% after successful completion of the mobility. Furthermore, due to budget cuts, there is a maximum funding period of one semester. Longer stays are possible as partial zero-grant mobility (= Erasmus status & tuition fee waiver remain valid) and, if applicable, with other funding sources. Extensions are not possible in 2021/22.

For more information regarding the monthly grant rates, please click here.

Please also note that there is no legal entitlement to the scholarship. Grants are allocated per academic year according to budget availability.

Additional top-ups as of the academic year 2021/22

The new Erasmus+ programme provides in addition to the mobility grant also top-ups for:

Top-ups for fewer opportunities (only one top-up for fewer opportunities possible, also if more categories apply):

  • Study grant recipients: Study grant for studying abroad & Erasmus subsidy can be received at the same time (only in the academic year 2021/22)
  • Study abroad with child(ren): monthly top-up of € 250
  • Stays abroad for people with disabilities/chronic diseases: monthly grant of € 250 and real costs subsidy (also real cost subsidy is possible see here).

Top-up for Green Travel in the amount of € 50,- (one-off payment)

Applying for the Erasmus+ scholarship & Grant Agreement To-Dos (Top-ups, Green Travel, ...)

The grant agreement for your Erasmus+ grant will be signed between the student and BOKU-IR. This will be available shortly before departure (about 2 weeks).

In addition to the regular Erasmus+ funding rates, top-ups can also be applied for:

  • Top-ups for disadvantaged groups (students with children, students with fewer opportunities, students with disabilities) require certain proof (see database query) and amount to 250€ per month. This must be indicated in the database and also the automatic transfer into the grant agreement must be checked.
  • The Green Travel Grant for low-emission travel to the host university and back home must also be applied for in the beginning via Mobility Online. The entire journey must be made by low-emission means of transport. After the stay, the Green Travel proof (tickets, receipts, etc.) must be uploaded in Mobility Online. If in the end the airplane was taken, this subsidy of 50€ will be deducted from the second installment. Low-emission means of transport include: Train, bus, carpooling (two people or more), boat/ship/ferry and bicycle.

If the departure documents specified in the next point (Learning Agreement & Paper of Recognition) are not available in time, the payment to the students will be unfortunately be delayed accordingly.

What is a zero-grant mobility?

Zero grant means that you receive an Erasmus+ exchange place,​ do not have to pay tuition fees and go abroad in the framework of the Erasmus+ guidelines,​ but do not receive Erasmus+ funding (other funding is possible).​​

Do I have to pay tuition fees during my Erasmus+ semester?

No, you are exempt from tuition fees during the exchange semester. There are no tuition fees to pay – neither at BOKU, nor at the host university. BUT: You still have to pay the ÖH fee at BOKU.

Do I have an insurance through the Erasmus+ programme?

Detailed information about the insurance can be found here.

Courses, Learning Agreement, Paper for Recognition & OLS-Test

Which courses can I attend during my Erasmus+ semester?

During your Erasmus+ semester you can attend compulsory courses, compulsory electives, or free electives. It is recommended to take courses which are relevant to your studies. Free electives are intended to impart knowledge and skills in the student’s own academic subject (as well as in fields of general interest).

According to the Erasmus+ programme guidelines, course have to be credited at the home university, even if only free electives are taken. Therefore, free electives must also be confirmed and recognized by the Departmental Coordinators and the Dean of Studies (at least 3 ECTS per month in order to be eligible for the E+ funding).

For further information regarding the recognition of your courses, please see below under "How does the recognition of my courses at BOKU work?"

Which documents do I need before departure?

The digital Learning Agreement and the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) (prior to your stay abroad) have to be completed with all signatures in Mobility Online before your departure.

In order to create the digital Learning Agreement, you have to enter the courses you wish to attend at the host university in Mobility Online and generate your Learning Agreement via the database. You can change the courses again after entering them.

The Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) is also generated via Mobility Online after you have entered your courses.

Can I still change my Learning Agreement if it has already been signed and uploaded to MO?

Before departure you can change your courses at any time and create a new Learning Agreement in Mobility Online. You can also change the Learning Agreement until four weeks after your arrival at the host university. To do this, the changed Learning Agreement must be generated via Mobility Online.

The new Learning Agreement has to be signed digitally again by the student, the Receiving Institution and your BOKU-IR Erasmus+ coordinator.

Please also ask your Departmental Coordinator and, if applicable, the lecturer of your compulsory course or the compulsory elective, if you want to have the new courses recognized at BOKU (this is sufficient by e-mail for the changed Learning Agreement).

Which signatures do I need for the Learning Agreement and the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste)?

For your Learning Agreement you need the following signatures:

  • Your signature
  • The signature of your departmental coordinator at BOKU
  • The signature of your host university - one signature is sufficient here; this is usually that of your Erasmus+ Coordinator at the International Office of your host university

For the changed Learning Agreement, you only need your signature, the signature of the Erasmus+ Outgoing Coordinator at BOKU and the signature of your host university.

If you want to add new courses that you want to get credited as compulsory courses at BOKU, you have to clarify the recognition of the courses with the lecturer of the compulsory courses by email. Keep the email, so that you have a confirmation for the recognition of your courses (please also see "How does the recognition of my courses at BOKU work?").

For the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) (prior to your stay abroad) you need the following signatures:

  • Your signature
  • The signature of your departmental coordinator at BOKU
  • If necessary, the signatures of compulsory course lecturers (also required for courses out of the compulsory course pool/specialisation) at BOKU
  • The signature of the Dean of Studies at BOKU

All signatures - except that of the Dean of Studies - are accepted by mail and scan. For the original signature of the Dean of Studies, please send the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) already filled with all other signatures by email to the Study Services ( They will then have it signed by the Dean of Studies, Prof. Peyerl. When the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) has been signed and is ready to be picked up, you will be informed by the Study Services by email.

ATTENTION: It is your responsibility to obtain all signatures completely and on time! Otherwise it may have consequences for your Erasmus+ grant and the recognition of your subjects at BOKU. If the signature of the Dean of Studies is not obtained on the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) prior to your stay, it cannot be issued on the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) after your stay!

What is the difference between Learning Agreement & Paper for Recognition?

The Learning Agreement (LA), the relevant document for the EU, is the study contract between the two partner universities and the student, which is obligatory on the part of the EU. The Erasmus+ guidelines state that subjects can be changed up to a maximum of one month after the start of the stay. A changed LA can be created via Mobility Online and the following signatures are required: Your signature, the signature of the host university and the signature of your BOKU-IR Erasmus+ coordinator.
NEW: As of WS 2022/23 there will be the digital Learning Agreement, which will be created and signed completely online via Mobility Online.

The Paper for Recognition is used for the crediting of courses at BOKU. There is the Paper for Recognition before your mobility, which contains all planned subjects, and the Paper for Recognition after your mobility, where you list all courses which you have you actually completed. If you change courses, there is no extra document during the stay needed.
However, if you add a compulsory or elective course, please get the OK of the respective course lecturer in advance by e-mail and then have the course confirmed via signature on the Paper for Recognition after your mobility after your return.
The Papers for Recognition are created in MO and signed online or on the printout (Dean of Studies).

For both documents, you must first enter your courses in MO.

For detailed information on signatures, see also the question "Which signatures do I need for the Learning Agreement and the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste)?" above.

What is the mandatory OLS (Online Language Support) test?

The aim of the Online Language Support (OLS) is to help students who are planning an Erasmus+ stay, to acquire and improve their foreign language skills. After the language test, students are given access to an online language course in the working language, and if chosen, also in the national language of the host country.

The OLS test before the stay is obligatory (exception: mother tongue) and refers to the working language during the stay abroad. You will receive an email with the link to the test. The online language course and a second assessment at the end of the stay are voluntary.

At the end and after your stay

Upon your return to BOKU & payment of the 2nd instalment

As soon as you are back at BOKU, please hand in a copy of your confirmation of stay within the enrollment deadline at the Student Services or send it by mail to studienservices(at) Scan the original and upload it to the Mobility Online database. At BOKU, the Transcript of Records and the final Paper of Recognition (as well as the Paper of Recognition prior to enrollment) will also be used for the recognition of courses at the Study Services.

In order to receive the remaining 30% of the Erasmus+ grant/2nd installment, please upload all required final documents (confirmation of stay, EU survey, transcripts of records, Paper of Recognition after return, experience report and Green Travel proof, if applicable). For detailed information, please see questions below.

For Green Travel funding, you must have already applied for Green Travel in the Grant Agreement.

Which documents do I need to complete my Erasmus+ stay?
  • The Confirmation of Stay signed by your host university:
    For stays abroad up to 2020/21, the Confirmation of Stay  must be sent to erasmus-wien(at) (either a scan sent directly by your host university or the original document sent by you).
    For stays abroad from/incl. 2021/22 the Confirmation of Stay  has to be sent to erasmus(at)
    Furthermore, the Study Services need a copy/scan of the Confirmation of Stay to re-register you at BOKU.
  • The Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) (after the stay abroad) signed by your Departmental Coordinator and the Dean of Studies Prof. Peyerl
  • The original Transcript of Records from your host university (original printout or digital certificate with electronic signature)
  • The Experience Report of your stay abroad
How does the recognition of my courses at BOKU work?

The recognition of your courses at BOKU is done via the Paper for Recognition (=Äquivalenzliste) after the end of your stay abroad. You need the Paper for Recognition BEFORE and AFTER the mobility including all required signatures. ATTENTION: If you forget to get the signature of the Dean of Studies on the Paper for Recognition BEFORE the mobility, the courses cannot be credited via the Erasmus+ programme!

Register the courses that you have actually completed in Mobility Online and create the Paper for Recognition AFTER the mobility within the online system.

You need again the signature of your Departmental Coordinator and the signature of the Dean of Studies. Your Departmental Coordinator needs the following documents: The original Transcript of Records from your host university, the Paper for Recognition (both parts: Paper for Recognition BEFORE the stay abroad and the final Paper for Recognition AFTER the stay abroad) and descriptions of the individual courses that you took (e.g. printout from the course catalogue of the host university including an explanation of the grading system, if it is not indicated on the transcript).

If you want to have a compulsory subject or a compulsory elective credited and it has not yet been confirmed on the Paper for Recognition prior to your stay abroad, you need the respective course to be confirmed by your BOKU compulsory course/compulsory elective supervisor for crediting. Please send the Paper for Recognition after your stay abroad by mail to your BOKU compulsory course/compulsory elective supervisor and have him/her sign it right next to the respective compulsory course/compulsory elective in order to confirm this course. After that you can send the Paper for Recognition to your Departmental Coordinator who will then sign the complete list. If the compulsory subject/compulsory elective was already approved in advance on the Paper for Recognition prior to your stay, you can obtain the signature of the Departmental Coordinator directly.

According to the Erasmus+ programme guidelines, course have to be credited at the home university, even if only free electives are taken. Therefore, free electives must also be confirmed and recognized by the Departmental Coordinators and the Dean of Studies (at least 3 ECTS per month in order to be eligible for the E+ funding).

Once the Departmental Coordinator has signed the Paper for Recognition, you need to have it signed by the Dean of Studies, Prof. Peyerl, too. To do so, please send your Paper for Recognition BEFORE your stay abroad, your Paper for Recognition AFTER your stay abroad, and the original Transcript of Records from your host university to the Study Services (studienservices(at) If your Transcript of Records has no electronic signature, you have to show the original when you collect the signed Paper for Recognition. 

As soon as your Paper for Recognition is signed by the Dean of Studies, you will get informed by the Study Services. After arranging an appointment online (, you can collect your document in the Study Services. Only with the signature of the Dean of Studies it is a legally valid document!

After that, the registration of the courses in BOKUonline is done by the Study Services.

Please upload a scan of your Paper for Recognition after the stay abroad in Mobility Online. The original remains with you and should be kept in a safe place (you may need it again at a later point in time).

Where should the original Transcript of Records be sent to?

The original Transcript of Records should be sent by mail to your private address. If the host university only sends it directly to BOKU, please make sure that you have given the exact BOKU-IR address:

BOKU - University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna
BOKU-International Relations
Nicole Fohringer / Claudia Zefferer
Peter Jordan Straße 82a
1190 Vienna

If you receive a digital Transcript of Records with an electronic signature, please have it sent to you by email and in cc to erasmus(at)

What is the mandatory EU Online Survey at the end of the stay?

At the end of your stay you have to participate in an EU online survey. Participation is mandatory; if you don’t participate in the survey, you might have to repay your Erasmus+ grant. The link for the survey will be sent to you automatically by email shortly after the end of your stay*. After receiving the email, you have 30 days to complete the survey. The EU Commission's survey serves to evaluate and improve the mobility programmes.


*At the moment the EU Tool for the survey is not working properly yet. You will receive the link as soon as possible.

Erasmus+ Coordinators

Who is my Departmental Coordinator?

Depending on the field of study, different departmental coordinators are responsible for evaluating the content of the courses at the host university and are available to answer academic questions. Your departmental coordinator automatically appears on your Learning Agreement. You will also find a list of all Departmental Coordinators here.

Who is my Departmental Coordinator and who is my Institutional Coordinator?

The Departmental Coordinator is your academic coordinator as explained above; the Institutional Coordinator is your administrative Erasmus+ Coordinator at the BOKU-IR office.

Erasmus+ in times of Corona | Cancellation of your stay

How does the current corona situation influence my Erasmus+ stay?

It is still possible to complete an Erasmus+ stay abroad. To be eligible for the Erasmus+ grant, you have to be physically in your host country; online mobilities from the home country cannot be funded!

Before you start your mobility, please inform yourself comprehensively about the current situation in your host country, the regulations at your host university, any entry and exit regulations (travel warnings, PCR tests, quarantine, ...) and your personal insurance cover (e.g. some travel insurances have exclusion clauses for a pandemic). Before your departure, you have to confirm in Mobility Online that you are going abroad at your own risk and that you have informed yourself about the guidelines of BOKU, your host university and public authorities. At the host university, there may be an increased offer of online courses.

For further information please see:

Current information for outgoings (COVID-19) on our website and current information of your host university as well as from the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs and des Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection.

FAQs from OeAD on Erasmus+ student mobility in the context of COVID-19
Further important information about your stay abroad and COVID-19

What do I have to do if I want to cancel my Erasmus+ stay?

If you cancel your Erasmus+ semester after submitting your application, a cancellation fee of € 50,- will be charged for the administrative effort. Exception: serious illness (with medical certificate), serious illness or death of direct relatives. Cancellations due to COVID-19 will be assessed individually depending on the current situation.

Please write an e-mail to erasmus(at) that you would like to cancel your stay abroad and inform your partner university (in cc also to erasmus(at)