How to apply
January 9, 2024 - expired (11:59pm) (online application sent)
- For the following fall semester in USA + Kanada (Middle of August/Beginning of September - Christmas)
Attention: the deadline for the fall semester/ spring semester at Kansas State University is 1st of June, an application in January is not possible for Kansas State University
- For the following semester 2 in Australia + New Zealand (Beginning of July- End of November)
- For the following semester ciclo-II in Peru (Beginning of September - Silvester)
- For the following semester 2 in Japan (October - March)
- For the following semester 2 in South Africa (July-December)
- For the following semester 2 in Mexico (August-December)
- For the following Segundo Semestre in Chile (August-December)
- For the following Segundo Semester in Brazil (September - Februar)
- For the following Semester 1 in Indonesia (August - Jänner)
- For the following Autumn Semester in UK ( September - January)
- For the following First Semester in Israel (Mid October - Beginning of February)
June 10, 2024 (11:59pm) (online application must be sent)
- For the following spring semester in USA + Kanada (Beginning of January- Middle of May)
Attention: the deadline for the fall semester/ spring semester at Kansas State University is 1rst of June, an application in January is not possible for Kansas State University
- For the following semester 1 in Australia and New Zealand (Middle/End of February - Middle/End of June)
- For the following semester ciclo-I in Peru (Middle of March – Middle of July)
- For the following semester 1 in Japan (April - September)
- For the following semester 1 in South Africa (February - June)
- For the following semester 1 in Mexico (January- June)
- For the following Primer Semestre in Chile (End of February/Beginning of March- Juli)
- For the following Primeiro Semestre in Brazil (April - August)
- For the following Semester 2 in Indonesia (February - June)
- For the following Spring Semester in UK (Jänner - June)
- For the follwoing Second Semester in Israel (Mitte/Ende März - Ende Juni/Anfang Juli)
We seek to promote equal opportunities and access, inclusion and fairness across all our actions. We explicitly encourage students with special needs or from underrepresented groups to apply. Please find more information on facilities for students with special needs and visit the website of the Coordination office for Equal Opportunities, Diversity and Disability.
Will especially encourage students whose parents have a different home country to spend a semester of study or internship in their parents' home country to deepen their knowledge of that country's language.
Please find further information on personal data processing according to the General Data Protection Regulation here.
- Start an application in Mobility Online Use your BOKU email adress for your application.
Only upload PDF documents.
- Create the financial plan
- Organise a travel cost calculation (flight) from the internet
- 2 recommendation letters in German or English of habilitated professors (O.Prof., Ao.Prof., Univ.Prof., Priv.Doz., Assoc. Prof.). The professors must not be from the same institute.
- Transcript of Records BSc and MSc (BOKUonline: transcripts/weighted by ECTS credits /Valid Document: Create valid document. Must include digital signature and "grade average, weighted by ECTS credits")
- Degree certificates
- Curriculum Vitae (including your signature) and Motivation letter (in English)
The motivation letter is a central document in the application. Make writing this letter a priority. Max. one A4 page in English. Describe why you want to do a semester abroad at your chosen university and what academic advantages, opportunities, etc. you will get from it.
- List of equivalent courses The list must be signed before the application deadline by the lecturer of the BOKU course, the coordinator AND the dean of studies. Please refer to the information in the FAQ in the section "Equivalence list". Send your filled list of equivalence to anerkennungen(at)boku.ac.at Incompletely uploaded equivalence lists will not be accepted! English translation of the List of equivalent courses can be found here.
You need the list of equivalence courses for the allowance of the courses you will complete abroad. The courses have to be affirmed by the programme coordinators and the Dean. Please refer to the information in the FAQ in the section "Equivalence list".
The application is online. See link above.
FNHW (Forestry and Wood & Fibre Technology)
Choose at the website of the partner university for courses. Follow the criteria Courses - Codes - Credits.(German only)
You have to choose a full semester study load. Please find an explanation on how to fill in the list of equivalence in our FAQ. (currently German only)
If you want to have compulsory courses as equivalents to your courses you complete abroad, the lecturer of the compulsory course has to sign the equivalent on the list of equivalent courses.
If you just want elective courses as equivalents the signature of the programme coordinator is sufficient.
The list of equivalent courses has to be signed by the Dean.
If the committee nominates you for another university than you have chosen you have to repeat this procedure for the new university.
9. The proof of foreign languages: Spanish or English III, language examination at BOKU-International Relations or TOEFL/ IELTS test (most of the partner universities require a TOEFL/IELTS test). Additional information can be found under requirements
10. Submit the application material via Mobility Online in time for the relevant deadline.
Cancellation Fee: 50 Euro
If you decide to cancel your application after submission of your documents, we will ask you for an administrative fee of 50 Euros. Exceptions: severe illness (including medical certificate), travel advisory from the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, severe illness or death of a close relative.
• Application form
• Motivation Letter (in English)
• Curriculum Vitae (in English)
• 2 recommendation letters of habilitated professors of BOKU (O.Prof., Ao.Prof., Univ.Prof., Priv.Doz., Assoc. Prof.)
• Language certificate. Can also be the language examination of the BOKU-International Relations
• Transcripts of records of the bachelor and master studies in English including the weighted grade point
• Degree Certificates (Bachelor Degree, including back site with date+stamp)
• List of equivalent courses (English translation of the List of equivalent courses can be found here): Please refer to the information in the FAQ in the section "Equivalence list".
• Travel costs calculation
Uncompleted, unreadable or delayed application material will not be considered!
The international committee considers the nomination. The international committee is composed by the head of BOKU-International Relations and one deputy of each study programme.
The following criteria are assessed:
• Study process (duration and grade point average)
• Motivation and preparation of the study intent
• Language skills
• Overall impression of the applicants
The motivation is very important. You have to argue why you choose a certain destination and why you choose certain courses.
1. If you have submitted your completed application in time, the international committee decides about your nomination within about four weeks
2. You will get a written answer via mail (including the declaration acceptance). The original declaration acceptance has to be submitted at BOKU-International Relations. (per E-Mail at the moment)
1. The Joint Study Coordinator contacts you, when the host university confirms the available study place. You have to complete the application form of the partner university at that time.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Most of the partner universities require a TOEFL test or IELTS test with a certain amount of points. You have to fulfill all the requirements of the host university. Please inform yourself on the website of the partner institution.
2. If you get your admission letter you can apply for student visa.
3. Make an application to the Study Services Office for a waiver of tuition fees if you would have to pay them: https://boku.ac.at/en/studienservices/themen/studienbeitraege-foerderungen/erlass-des-studienbeitrages
Don't forget to pay your ÖH-fee also for the semester abroad in time so that you can continue your studies at BOKU. Check your tuition fee status in BOKUonline: https://boku.ac.at/en/studienservices/themen/weitermeldung
4. The grant will be disbursed about 2 weeks before your stay abroad.
Something unclear? Take a look at our FAQ.
The grant does not include insurance. Please check with your insurance company before you start your journey to determine whether you are entitled to insurance in the destination country.
If the host university requires insurance, it is recommended to choose the insurance offered by the host university (so-called health plan, e.g. in the USA).
Information on the "ÖH Haftpflicht"(accident and liability) insurance can be found online: www.oeh.ac.at/service/oeh-versicherung Please check whether your destination country is included. For USA, Canada, for example, an extra application must be made. Australia, for example, is also not covered by the ÖH liability insurance. For explanation in English see also: https://short.boku.ac.at/int-in-life-insurance-en.html
Information about visa:
Search for foreign representations in Vienna: Foreign Representations in Austria
Apply for your Visa in time!